cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 - even using eye tracking, focus isn't sharp. Shooting couples at f4, both aren't sharp

HoneyBee
Apprentice

I'm worried that my R6 doesn't give me those razor sharp images that I see others posting.  I use eye tracking, but it still doesn't look sharp.  I shot a husband and wife fairly close together, using my 85mm, f/4.0, 1/200, ISO500.  The girl is focused, but her husband is slightly blurry. They are almost on the same plane...and I'm at F/4.0.  I still don't think she is focused razor sharp.  Could this be my camera?  My lens is a canon EF (with adaptor) 85mm 1.2 L.  I get sharper images from my Mark EOD5d Mark III using the same lens.  Should I send it in to get looked at?  I've had it almost a year.  Concerned. 

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Do you have an example image?  Also, how close was the camera to your subjects?  At 10 feet away, the total DOF is around 1 foot.   Closer and that would shrink.   Further away, and that would expand.

When you say fairly close, was one of the two people closer to the camera than the other?   Unless you have really broad DOF, it's best to have all subject's eyes as close as possible along the same plane parallel to the camera's sensor.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I have a really dumb question.  How can I insert this image?  To attach a photo, it tells me it's too big.  (I have jpg right now...raw is at home). 

Also, these two subjects faces were close (it was a couple) and he was slightly behind her.  I would think f/4.0 would be sufficient to capture both at this close of distance to each other....but it wasn't.  I understand being on the same plane....but at what aperture do you use for couple sessions when they are together and touching?  

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Rick is correct

You should do a test with a range of subjects at different distances and difgrrent apertires to get to know the lens performance. 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I'm using an 85mm 1.2 lens that is amazing....and I never noticed this problem with my Mark III (with same lens).  Seems for couple photos I have to have an unusually high aperture on the R6 and I really shouldn't.  When I take groups, like family photos with two rows, I put up to a f/10 to make sure I get everyone in focus.  I see others that get this done and in focus at a much lower aperture.  Just really curious. 

Do you recall doing any microadjustments with that lens when you had the 5D Mark III? It's possible that you may need to do those adjustments with your R6.

As a test, photograph something on a wall in a well-lit room.  Ensure the subject has lots of fine detail in it.  Keep the camera's lens as perpendicular to that item as possible.  And capture photos at different apertures.   If you still have the 5D III, repeat the test with that.   Use of a tripod for these tests would be strongly recommended.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

HoneyBee
Apprentice

This is a possibility.  I bought the Mark III and the 85mm lens from my mentor so he may have done that.  I will do some tests shots like you suggested as I do have both cameras.  Thank yoU!

@HoneyBee wrote:

This is a possibility.  I bought the Mark III and the 85mm lens from my mentor so he may have done that.  I will do some tests shots like you suggested as I do have both cameras.  Thank yoU!

The R6, like all MILCs have no need for "micro adjustment" so, I would rule that out. DSLRs have a separate focus sensor whereas the MILCs use the main sensor for focus. Some new Sony MILCs do have the adjustment, but it is used when adapting lenses.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You need to save the image to a file sharing like One Drive or Dropbox and then post the link.

Important that the posted image have all the EXIF data. Better to wait till you get home and post the RAW.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements