cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 autofocus issues

mh3905
Apprentice

Just got a refurbished R6 with 1.6 Firmware. The issue I am having is even in live view when not touching the camera with my face to change the AF points, The camera is incapable of focusing on the single AF point that I have selected. I have turned off all tracking (to my knowledge). I just want it to focus on the single point i have selected. The blue autofocus squares continue to find whatever they want outside of the AF point area and just focus on whatever it feels like.

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Start here.  This is the latest version of the camera's user guide.  It will have updated information about the latest features which may have been added to the body via firmware updates.

cam.start.canon : For customers using the EOS R6

Next, I would suggest updating the body's firmware to v1.8.2.  There have been significant changes to the camera's AF.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/canon-product-advisories/Firmware-Notice-EOS-R6-Firmware-Version-1...

After review and update, retest and let us know if you have any questions.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I just finished upgrading the firmware. It is now 1.8.2 and the issue is still present. The camera can be pointed at something well lit and high contrast such as the corner of a picture frame, in single point AF and the camera just wants to focus on the subject on the picture vs the corner where the single point AF is set to.

You mentioned blue focus points which means you are in "Servo" mode. Try "One shot" with a single AF point and see if you get the results you want. Once set to One shot/single point, your FP will turn green when focus is acquired with a half press of the shutter or whatever button you have set to focus.

Newton

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greeting,

Hi Newton. Agree.  It's likely the camera is in servo and needs to be one point AF.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have the camera in one shot af. It is just not doing “one shot” mode. 

@mh3905 wrote:

"I have the camera in one shot af. It is just not doing “one shot” mode."

I'm assuming you switched to One shot from Servo and your focus points are still hopping around? If so, pick a single focus point from the AF select menu, like Single fine or "Spot" or just "Single". If you have "Expanded" or a "Zone", even in "One shot", it still may hunt or focus on something besides Center, especially if you have eye or face detect enabled.

I do have this camera, so I am experienced in its use. If you have done as I described and are still having problems, I would suggest setting the camera back to factory defaults, including any custom settings.

Newton

Glad you have it sorted. I was typing and researching and didn't see your reply 🙂

Ever Forward!

Newton

mh3905
Apprentice

Thank you both for your help. I emailed Canon support and found the following issue: I was using the Af-On button and unbeknownst to me, It was set up for AF operation: servo , AF method: Eye AF. So While I had these settings disabled in the menu, the button itself was set to call these. After setting both of the functions to "maintain current setting", the problem appears to be resolved.

Announcements