cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Mark ii High Speed drive ... doesn't stop taking photos after releasing shutter button.

mikelangelo
Contributor

I shoot an indoor environment for action shots of Radio Control Cars (Racing). The R6 and R6ii are perfect for this because of the poor lighting and ability to handle higher ISO. 

Current situation: 

• Manual mode (I have a custom setup setup),
  • H+ drive mode.
  • ISO is set to Auto
  • Aperture is between 4-5.6
  • Shutter Speed ranges between 1/125 and 1/1800 
  • I use mechanical Shutter with Anti Flicker enabled (lots of old flourescent lights overhead). 
  • Detect Vehicles is enabled. (1/8th scale RC cars)
  • I am on latest firmware for my RF 70-200 F/4 lens and the body. (v. 1.1.1)

Behavior: 

• My R6 is flawless. 
  • My new R6ii is great but there will be instances where I take my finger off the shutter, and the camera continues to shoot an additional 5-10 photos.
  • Another behavior is sometimes the LCD goes solid black. I can still take photos, but it's just a black screen. I have to turn the camera off and on again to 'reset' it.. 

These issues are very problematic for me.. they definitely occurred a few times... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

That's good news for sure.  @kvbarkley did say it could be the shutter button and based on the repair, I believe he was correct. 

I'm sure you can put this behind you now and enjoy the camera. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

That crossed my mind. If I kept the back button focus button pressed all the time, it would stop… but I do believe there is a defect of some kind

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

One advanced feature the has been appearing in more and more cameras is the ability to capture a burst of images beginning a fraction of a second before you actually press the shutter.  This “pre-shot buffering” is added to help you out if you are a little late on the shutter.

I think this feature may have been added to the R6 Mark II.  Is your camera performing this type of “pre-shot buffering” when you capture a burst.

Based on the description of your issue, it sounds like the camera is performing a “post-shot buffering” operation.  I’ve never heard of a body doing this before.  But, check to see if the R6 Mark II is capable of “pre-shot buffering.”  If it has it, then disable to see if your issue goes away.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I thought of that too. There is raw burst option that I believe may be part of that. I’m slowly becoming an expert with the online manual and will look for that type of “feature” in other places. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Guys,

The R62 does have this feature.  It's called Raw Burst Mode.  Camera menu, menu 6.  Once enabled you have the "PreShot-Buffer" option.  

@mikelangelo has already had his camera replaced, so we'll probably never know if the other body was defective?  I did however recommend a full reset which he did and the behavior persisted.  

Guess we'll wait to hear what the results are after his testing.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yeah.. I triple checked all of that. The multiple exposure, RAW burst mode and focus bracketing have all been disabled and never turned on, actually. 

mikelangelo
Contributor

A quick update. I was able to swap out my original camera with a new one from the store I purchased it from. I configured it the same way in manual with back button focus. I tested last night in the environment that I use it and I was able to replicate the same issue. I am currently research the different options when customing the back buttons for focus: Eye Detection AF, AF on Detected Subject, Metering and AF Start, Eye Detection, Spot Detection, etc. 

These setting are slightly different than on my R6. My R6 has NEVER once had this issue. But, my hope is there is some logic in the camera that I've never used before. It's also whacky that I can't replicate at home or with static subjects only with fast-moving subjects, so far. 

I'll post more if I learn anything new. Thank you again. 

I strongly recommend either resetting the camera back to factory defaults and add your custom settings one by one until the issue appears.  Or, try clearing your custom settings one by one until the issue goes away.  

The issue could be related to one setting or a combination of settings.  If you turn everything on at once, you will not be able to troubleshoot the issue.  Turning everything on at once adds too many unknowns.  You need to remove some of them, as many as you can.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That's a valid strategy. I'll do that with my next outing. My specific use case where this comes up is pretty unique, but I try to practice once a week at minimum if I'm able. Thanks for the idea.

mikelangelo
Contributor

Quick update... I had this issue with two R6 Mark II's and have officially sent my camera back to Canon to have a technician take a look at it. I will report back with whatever I hear back from Canon. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Mike,

Appreciate the update. Please update once Canon has investigated.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements