cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Mark ii High Speed drive ... doesn't stop taking photos after releasing shutter button.

mikelangelo
Contributor

I shoot an indoor environment for action shots of Radio Control Cars (Racing). The R6 and R6ii are perfect for this because of the poor lighting and ability to handle higher ISO. 

Current situation: 

• Manual mode (I have a custom setup setup),
  • H+ drive mode.
  • ISO is set to Auto
  • Aperture is between 4-5.6
  • Shutter Speed ranges between 1/125 and 1/1800 
  • I use mechanical Shutter with Anti Flicker enabled (lots of old flourescent lights overhead). 
  • Detect Vehicles is enabled. (1/8th scale RC cars)
  • I am on latest firmware for my RF 70-200 F/4 lens and the body. (v. 1.1.1)

Behavior: 

• My R6 is flawless. 
  • My new R6ii is great but there will be instances where I take my finger off the shutter, and the camera continues to shoot an additional 5-10 photos.
  • Another behavior is sometimes the LCD goes solid black. I can still take photos, but it's just a black screen. I have to turn the camera off and on again to 'reset' it.. 

These issues are very problematic for me.. they definitely occurred a few times... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

That's good news for sure.  @kvbarkley did say it could be the shutter button and based on the repair, I believe he was correct. 

I'm sure you can put this behind you now and enjoy the camera. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

mikelangelo
Contributor

I see that there's a firmware update for the R3. One of the issues being resolved with that update to 1.4.1 for R3 is: 

"Fixes an issue in which the original tracking performance of Servo AF cannot be attained depending on shooting conditions when performing high-speed continuous shooting using the electronic shutter after having updated the camera firmware to Version 1.4.0."

That feels suspiciously similar to some of my issues on the R6MkII. I would laugh, if they release a firmware update that solves my issue "after" I've sent it in for repair. 😄 Fingers crossed Canon is on the case, tho'!! 

mikelangelo
Contributor

Latest update. My R6mkii was just serviced and shipped back to me. The information on their website had this update: 

Repair Complete Comment:

"Your product has been examined and it was found that a component did not operate properly causing the shutter button to operate improperly. The upper cover assembly was replaced. Also electrical adjustments were performed to improve focus. Product functions were confirmed. Shutter count:6833"

Turns out there was a physical defect of some sort and Canon did repair it. I should have it back this week and will test it thoroughly to ensure all is good. I appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions for troubleshooting!!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

That's good news for sure.  @kvbarkley did say it could be the shutter button and based on the repair, I believe he was correct. 

I'm sure you can put this behind you now and enjoy the camera. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I know this is an older post but my R6m2 did the exact same thing on continous high speed shooting a basketball game.   I was using  70-200 f4 EF  L with an adapter.  Twice I pressed the shutter button for a few bursts and the camera shutter fired continously!  I had to shut the camera off to stop it from using the whole card.   It also happened on my 24-105 L RF, so I know it's not the lens setup.  Guess I will be sending it in under warranty.  Now I gave 2 bodies needing repair.  5dm4 had the joystick button pop off.   6d is the fallback!

Forgot to inform, just updated to version 1.3 a few days ago...

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements