cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 700D Batterys dying almost instantly

EllieroseKelly
Apprentice

So i have the canon 700D and i have been using it for a few years now and it has always been fine until recently. 

I can charge my battery packs for hours or even overnight and then when i put them in my camera within about 3 minutes my camera is telling me that it is about to die because it has no charge. i wasnt sure if it was just the battery packs so i bought another one and this one seems to last about 20 minutes but then does the same thing. 

i dont know if it is the camera itself or if its something that can get fixed or if it is all the batteries. I dont want to purchase a new camera and then it turns out it wasnt a camera issue.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is sounding like a charger issue thus far.  If a brand new battery only lasts a little longer than the others, it sounds like a charging issue.  I recommend using a Canon charger and Canon batteries for best results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ive bought multiple chargers and batterys and it dosent seem to change

Look inside the battery compartment to see if there's any corrosion.  You may need to send in your camera for repair.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

Do you know anyone else with a Canon camera that uses the same battery and charger?  Not necessarily the same camera model, just the same battery.  If so, try charging your battery on their charger, and see what happens.  If you still have the same problem, it's the batteries.  If the battery works, it's the charger.

If you do not know somebody with the same battery/charger, do you have a local camera store?  Most camera stores have extra chargers for their showroom, and if you ask nice, they might let you throw your battery on one for a few hours, if you explain the situation.  They are likely to do this knowing that they will end up selling you a new charger, or a new battery... whichever ends up being bad.

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Try it without a lens, or at least with another one. The EOS mount puts the battery voltage directly to the lens.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If your battery discharges "within about 3 minutes", it should get very hot. Does it? If it does not it was not likely fully charged.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements