cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Mark II non-standard shutter speeds

SteveCVS
Apprentice

In M and Tv, possibly other modes, the shutter speed options are in tenths of a fraction, such as 1/129.4, 1/130.1, 1/130.8, etc. instead of standard speeds like 1/125, 1/160, 1/200, etc.  At higher speeds, the jump to the next highest setting goes up, such as 1/1002.1, 1/1024.0, 1/1069.3.  

While this level of granularity may be useful in some cases, I shoot sports and it takes an unacceptably long time to roll the dial up to 1/1000-ish and back down to 1/250-ish.  Also, the shutter speed can't be set over 1/2048.0!!

What am I doing wrong?  Is there a way to use standard shutter speeds, or at least restrict the number of options? 

I also have an R5 (no issues) and have tried to set the R6 II to similar settings, but there are differences in the menus.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The shutter speeds suggest that you have enabled “Light Flicker” correction.  

I do not know why you seem limited in the range of selectable ISO speeds or how quickly can adjust it.  There may be another camera setting that is responsible for these issues.  Try resetting the camera back to factory defaults.

Once I have found a set of camera settings that I like, I will register them as a Custom Shooting mode with automatic updates disabled.  Now, I can go back to M mode and experiment to my heart’s content and not worry about changing something crucial and forgetting about it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The shutter speeds suggest that you have enabled “Light Flicker” correction.  

I do not know why you seem limited in the range of selectable ISO speeds or how quickly can adjust it.  There may be another camera setting that is responsible for these issues.  Try resetting the camera back to factory defaults.

Once I have found a set of camera settings that I like, I will register them as a Custom Shooting mode with automatic updates disabled.  Now, I can go back to M mode and experiment to my heart’s content and not worry about changing something crucial and forgetting about it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

SteveCVS
Apprentice

@Waddizzle, you were correct and pointed me in the right direction.  I turned off Anti-flicker shooting, but no change.  Then I turned off HF anti-flicker shooting and it is "normal" again, standard shutter speeds and a max of 1/8000.  Your Legend status is well-earned.  Thank you!!

Announcements