cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Disappointment/FYI

FastEddie2
Contributor

Bought an R6 on 12/06 to use for Christmas. Today 10 days later while updating the firmware to 120 using a 64 GB SDXC II card and update from canon website, after 2 minutes of download the following message appears on the screen "Firmware Update Program Update file cannot be found Please check the memory card and reloade the battery and try again." So I turn the camera off and the message is still on the screen. The camera can't be turned off. I remove the battery, the camera goes off. Following the message I put in a new "fully charged" battery with no memory card (the first was fully charged too) and immediatly the screen lights up with the same message even though the camera is in the off position on the indicator wheel. Contacted Canon and they said ship it to them in So. California. Christmas is next week and California is shut down (this is why I don't play the lottery). Has anyone else run into this problem. I will now have to revert to my Sony VX 2000. Not happy with canon at all. Smiley SadSmiley Frustrated

17 REPLIES 17

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

For the firmware update to be successful, "EOSR6120.FIR" has to exist in the root of the SD card.  Try downloading and copying the file to the card, reinsert and turn it back on.

You may already be in a bricked status, but it won't hurt to try.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Follow Rick's suggestion and it will likely work.  Because your camera didn't fully start the firmware upgrade process then the existing firmware should still be intact.

That being said, it really shouldn't be that easy to brick a camera in 2020.  Storage space on controllers and embedded processors isn't so limited as it was a decade ago.  As an example, my HP workstations keep the old BIOS firmware intact until the system sucessfully starts with the updated BIOS so if something bad happens during an update it can just roll back to the existing BIOS instead of turning into a brick.  And if you somehow brick the existing BIOS, an even lower level program provides the machine with the ability to flash BIOS from a memory stick. 

With a new mirrorless platform, and obviously one that has some issues at launch, there are going to be a lot of firmware updates.

Rodger

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Rick said,

"You may already be in a bricked status, but it won't hurt to try."

This is why you should not update FW unless there is a reason that effects you directly. Just because there is a newer FW than you have is not a good reason.  Some FW only update language for instance. It will not hurt anything further to try Rick's suggestion.  Put the FW update on the SD card in the root folder. Do this from your computer.  Then insert the SD card in the camera and replace the battery. It might work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

FastEddie2
Contributor

Thank You all for the suggestions, however, there was no navigating away from that screen. Inserting another fully charged battery only brought the same screen back up immediatly while the camera was still off and you still could not navigate from the message on the screen. There will be a canon rep at the bay area store where I bought it tomorrow, so I might just stop by andf see what he says. The camera itself is on its way to Costa Mesa.

Inserting another battery wouldn't help, it is waiting for the update file. Do as stated above put a memory card in the camera with the correct file in the root directory and it should automatically carry out the update and go back to normal working.

Make sure the update file has been unzipped and has the .fir extension.

FastEddie2
Contributor

This is an update from my 12/16 post.

Received my camera back yesterday 12/28. Impressed with quick turn around.

Was dissappointed with the communiction. Good thing I was home.

Did shoot the "Great Conjunction" on the 21st from the Nevada desert with the wifes T6i. Definitely need practice as out of 37 shots at different ISO and shutter and aperture, got 2 nice photos.

Thanks again to all the photographers who responded. Hope  to be able to call on you all again in the future.

Happy New Year

FE2

" Definitely need practice as out of 37 shots at different ISO and shutter and aperture, got 2 nice photos."

I'd say nice, and I would be happy, with two photos.  This is all I got.

_OS12518-2.jpg

... and this was the best evening. The rest were even more cloudy. Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

FastEddie2
Contributor

This is one of the 2 that I think would pass.IMG_5888.JPG

@FastEddie2 wrote:

This is one of the 2 that I think would pass.

Have you ever attempted to photograph the night sky before?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements