cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 sharpness setting in picture styles

MisterWizard
Contributor

Honest, I've looked in both the printed manual and the pdf version, and I can't find the answer.

In the picture styles settings for the user defined styles, there is a setting for "sharpness" but it doesn't allow any changes.  Am I missing something, and if it's not to be modified then why even put it in the settings menu?

I'm new to this camera, but come from years of using the 1D series bodys so I do know my way around most of the menus. 

And seriously, if I've missed it, please point me to the page or paragragh or archived scroll that it's explained in.

Thanks for listening!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As kvbarkley stated, you must select one of the "Sharpness" parameters.

Then Press SET to change the selected parameter.

Then Press SET again to store the new value.

Select parameter.png

Adjust value.png

"The attached image is an example (taken from an online tutorial) of the detail set screen with the sharpness parameter simply not adjustable."

Sometimes it's better to read the step-by-step directions in the manual rather than a possibly simplified "online tutorial" 😋

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum

A lot would depend on which lenses are attached to the camera, the mode you are set to and whether the lens is set to MF or AF as well as the settings for the camera proper.  Have you had this situation with different lenses?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

It doesn't matter what lens.  I have the 24-105 RF lens, the rest of my glass is EF L glass using the $99 EF-R adapter. Lenses are set to AF and I'm uncertain what other "settings for the camera proper" would affect being able to adjust sharpness in the picture styles menus.

In the PictureStyleEditor program that I downloaded from Canon, if I open a CR3 file I can change all 3 unsharp mask parameters. Then it allows me to save the new style in a file. I would expect that the EOS utility could install the saved style file onto the camera. Does that not work for you?

If you are trying to do this in the Camera, I have not tried that. The manual calls it "Picture Style Registration". Is that what is not working for you?

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Are you looking at taking still images or video?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Stills.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree with Trevor...  and with such a beautiful camera, I'd stick with defaults and do any final sharpening in post. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

With the difference in resolution you will get between a 1D series body and the 45MP sensor of the R5, I think I would trial just using the camera set to one of the default settings - perhaps try several and do some tests with those. 

Especially if you are shooting RAW,  you can do a lot more tweaking in PP.  If you really want to go to town, then use something like Topaz Sharpen AI: it does what it says on the box - uses artificial intelligence, with lots of input to sharpen images as well as provide some noise reduction - if you need that.

cheers, TREVOR

MisterWizard
Contributor

UG-03_s0850.png
The attached image is an example (taken from an online tutorial) of the detail set screen with the sharpness parameter simply not adjustable.  It's like that in any of the picture styles selections, the Portrait one was just the one I grabbed to illustrate my point.
I appreciate all the suggestions, and I usually shoot JPG for just quick run & gun stuff.  
It's not so much that I feel a compelling need to sharpen in camera as it is that I'm puzzled why the setting exists without any adjustment possibility.  I've not seen this on any other Canon camera menu. 
Like I said, I read thru the manual and the PDF manual and just haven't found any information about this, so I come to this wealth of knowledge with my questions.

Note the indent:

I think that Strength, Fineness and Threshold are all components of Sharpness. It seems to me that rather than having *no* sharpness control, you have an embarrassment of riches!

Announcements