cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 mode button not working!

RonFast
Apprentice

Hi  - My nice new R5 has a fault  - a dead Mode button... I have tried two or three suggestions to cure this, but it remains a problem - It is currently stuck on M and I want to load the latest firmware 1.5 (1.4 installed) - I need to select P to do this, someone suggested that it would load with M selected - sadly not for me! - also tried with the "FIR" ended version of the software. I tried holding down the Q button and pressing INFO to get the mode window - regret that didn't work...

Pressing Q + INFO  brings up the general settings window but the M setting at the top left corner has a greyed out background so inoperative - going a bit crazy here... I guess tomorrow I'll call Mr Canon... but if anybody has the answer to this ...I'd be delighted to be proved stupid.

Kind regards _ Don

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lotus7
Rising Star

Certainly sounds like an early failure, but have you tried the following?:

1. Remove the battery

2. Switch the ON/Off switch to ON with battery removed.

3. Press shutter release for a few seconds.  

4. Switch the ON/Off switch to OFF

4. Install a fully charged battery and wait until the red "Busy" lamp stops blinking

5. Switch the camera back ON

Remember, the R5 is always partially powered up whenever a charged battery is installed. the only way to truly power it down and clear registers is to remove the battery.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Contacting Canon is probably your best option.  Just be aware that the holiday season is probably one of the busiest times of the year for camera repairs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I have tried two or three suggestions to cure this, but it remains a problem - It is currently stuck on M ..."

OK, there is only one cure for this, and I suspect you know what it is. The sooner you get it off to Canon, the sooner it will be repaired and back in your hands. Good luck.

RonFast
Apprentice

Good advice, it does look to be a fairly intractable problem, Ho-Hum… tho I suspect that as the camera is only two weeks old, I could certainly be the problem here - the mirrorless cameras are a whole new ballgame, quite complex, but very wonderful.

Best Don

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

I had a wierd issue with my record button/m.fn buttons on my R5 not working after the body warmed up a bit.  I ended up sending back to Canon Service center and they replaced the top board.  I think the fault was there from the beginning but since I rarely used those 2 buttons, didn't notice it til months later (shooting way less during covid didn't help either).

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Lotus7
Rising Star

Certainly sounds like an early failure, but have you tried the following?:

1. Remove the battery

2. Switch the ON/Off switch to ON with battery removed.

3. Press shutter release for a few seconds.  

4. Switch the ON/Off switch to OFF

4. Install a fully charged battery and wait until the red "Busy" lamp stops blinking

5. Switch the camera back ON

Remember, the R5 is always partially powered up whenever a charged battery is installed. the only way to truly power it down and clear registers is to remove the battery.

Hi Lotus7

Thanks so much for your very helpful post, which I have copied for future use (hopefully not!) - I went the painful route of re-setting the camera... pre your post.  I now have a fully reconfigured camera setup and the Mode button is now back in service - a very frustrating long winded process. It's a shame the the R5 is such a glitchy camera, I'm hoping that, now I have been able to install the 1.5 firmware it will settle down to be as reliable as all my previous Canon cameras - I suspect my hopes may be dashed!?- fingers crossed. Thanks again for the painless solution to my problem that you kindly posted. 

Kind regards - Don

Glad the "system reset" procedure helped.  Today's cameras can stretch the definition of what a "camera" consists of.  Some might consider current models as "computers that happen to be able to record images".  One additional "tip":  Although it's OK to turn the "Power Switch" OFF while the camera Busy lamp is on or blinking (the process being executed will continue until completed), it's not OK to remove the battery if the light is on.  That can cause a memory card directory error or possibly a functional error in camera operations.

For what its worth: I have a couple of R5s, an early production R and a RP.  I've taken many thousands of shots with them and found all 4 of these cameras to be extremely reliable.  And that's been while using lenses made by Canon (both RF & EF), Tamron EFs, and Samyang R mounts.

Hope you enjoy your R5.  IMHO, it's a superb instrument.

Hello again Lotus7

I have to agree that the R5 is truly wonderful camera and is definitely the way forward post the reign of the DSLRs which are so familiar to us all - old slippers!  I have been around cameras for some 65 yrs or so, I can still remember the joy of shooting 10x8 on a daily basis, right through every camera format and Mac to today. Unreasonably - I'm now 86 but still getting a buzz from all the new tech, absolutely love it - but the R5 has certainly proved to be a steep learning curve from the easy logic the DSLRs and you are right that it has a lot in common with computers.

I still have a sneaky nostalgia for the slowness of the - Wet tech!  but wouldn't change back if I was still working! - With the R5, I also bought a 100-500 lens plus a tripod gimbal - which all arrived about three weeks ago so I'm still on the upward learning curve ...But looking forward to the coming summer when I will be out in the woodland photographing the wildlife - big and "Peaceful" change from my previous life in the world of advertising etc...

Thanks again for your kind help ...much appreciated.

Kind regards - Don

Viewfinder
Apprentice

I found that it's in the settings called restrict shooting modes. I turned that off and it fixed this problem. I included a photo of the menu but it's under the custom functions tab, #2, third option down.

IMG_8579.JPG

Announcements