cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 firmware 1.6 -- Overheating Fixed?

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Canon just released firmware version 1.6 for the EOS R5; the big add in 1.6 is the new "Auto power off temp" option, with settings "Standard" and "High". Since the release, I've been testing how the new option affects overheating. It seems to be a big improvement. So I thought I'd share my results.

All tests were shooting the TV, so the camera had some motion to process. The room was about 19-20 °C (66-68 °F). Obviously the 30 minute record time limit (7.5 minutes in 120 FPS) kicked in, so I just pressed record again each time the camera stopped, until it actually overheated and shut down -- or I got fed up and went to bed.

In all cases, once the camera shut down, I stopped the test. Of course you can let it rest a bit and get more time out of it, but how much time depends on how long you let it cool. With infinitely many options, I couldn't be bothered testing this. The camera was allowed to get stone cold between these tests.

Auto power off temp = Standard

4k HQ 23.98 warning @ 31m 02s, shutdown @ 40m 18s
8k IPB 23.98 warning @ 25m 50s, shutdown @ 33m 57s
4k LQ 59.94 warning @ 1h 11m, shutdown @ 1h 41m
4k LQ 120 warning @ 14m 45s, shutdown @ 19m 53s

Auto power off temp = High

4k HQ 23.98 ran for 3 hours, no warning or shutdown, gave up
8k IPB 23.98 ran for 4 hours plus, white warning after an hour or so, red warning intermittent, no shutdown
4k LQ 59.94 ran for 3 hours, no warning or shutdown, gave up
4k LQ 120 white warning @ 22m 50s, red warning @ 29m 45s, shutdown @ 35m 54s

In the cases where the camera ran for 3 hours or more, it just didn't seem to be getting hotter, so I couldn't see much point in continuing. The camera was pretty warm after these tests, but not crazy; though the memory card was too hot to hold. It cooled down pretty fast, though.

For a mirrorless camera without active cooling, this looks about as good I would expect.

Obviously I can't guarantee that you'll get these run times. Individual variations between cameras, different environments etc., will all have an effect. In particular in the 8k test, the warnings were showing intermittently after the first hour or so, so the camera was clearly close to the edge.

Please bear in mind that in "High", the camera can get hot, so watch out for low-temperature burns if you're holding the camera for a while.

I've uploaded a more extensive write-up to my web site: https://moonblink.info/MudLake/gear/r516

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

YouTubers are gushing today.  Something about the 30 minute limit has been removed. ???

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I haven't been able to find any of this gushing.  But regardless, it's false.  1.6.0 is the latest firmware for the R5, and I have it, and the 30-minute limit is still there.  I've spent the last few days doing overheat tests, and pressing record over and over again at each 30 minute chunk.  The attached pic is from yesterday.

What has been fixed is overheating after approx. 30-40 minutes of 8k recording.  Maybe that's what they mean.

Time Limit.jpg

wkf94025
Contributor

Thanks for your testing and documentation.  I purchased my R5 and RF 24-70 and RF 70-200 in May, and have been shooting volleyball (stills and video) ever since.  I ran into the overheating problem right away, shooting video.  I'm not an expert on the various video formats, and simply shoot for player and parent enjoyment, so most of my vids end up 1080p on youtube.  I like shooting 120fps for slow mo replay/analysis, and otherwise shoot at 60fps with audio, shown as FHD/59.94P/ALL-I in the menu.  Or high frame rate, shown as FHD/119.9P/ALL-I.  In either mode, I start/stop with almost every serve, only occassionally letting the camera run for multiple points.  So in a ~2 hour match, I may capture 30-40min of total video footage.  I use these cards:

• SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO CFExpress Card Type B, 1700MB/s Read, 1400MB/s Write
  • SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-II Memory Card - C10, U3, V90, 8K, 4K, Full HD Video, SD Card - SDSDXDK-128G-GN4IN

With that background, are there any "heat management" settings you would recommend as to video modes, which card to record to, whether/when to record to both, and maybe any tips for mixing up stills with video?  I'm still learning all the massive possibilities in auto-focus, so no specific questions there.  I'm barely starting to dip my toe in the button customization water, and would like to have a single-button way of switching from 60fps to 120fps.  Any advice there?

The one AF question I'll ask in this heat-centric thread is how best to lock on the face of the outside hitter across the court, say 40 feet away, and have face tracking stay locked on her, despite setter, net, ref, etc., in the foreground.  Maybe AF once when I've got a clear shot at her before the serve, and otherwise don't allow AF until I've taken the ~10 still frames of her swing?  Distance from me to her changes somewhat, but not by a lot.

wkf94025
Contributor

Sorry, one other question:  I upgraded to firmware 1.5.2 in late June.  Would you recommend upgrading to 1.6?  I.e., any downsides you've experienced with the latest firmware?

I upgraded to 1.6 when it came out and have personally experienced absolutely no issues whatsoever, FWIW.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for the questions; it's flattering... but when it comes to sports photography, that's something I don't do.  Almost all my video shooting uses manual, static focus.  So I really haven't explored the autofocus stuff at all.

For heat management settings, you've got the new "Auto power off temp" option, of course, and other than that all I know is to set “Standby Low Res”.  This is explained in my review: https://moonblink.info/MudLake/gear#R5

I don't know any way to set a single button to switch frame rates.  When you go into the button configuration menu, you can see the options, and if the thing you want isn't there, that's the end.  There's no "macro" capability in these cameras, for example.  OTOH you can set a button to select the S&F frame rate, if you're already in S&F mode.  And you can set a button to go to My Menu, and add the Frame Rate menu to My Menu.

@wkf94025 wrote:

Sorry, one other question:  I upgraded to firmware 1.5.2 in late June.  Would you recommend upgrading to 1.6?  I.e., any downsides you've experienced with the latest firmware?

The only change I've noticed since upgrading is that heat management is better.  So if overheating is an issue for you, I would upgrade.

Ian

Thanks Ian.  Only thing I didn't understand from your reply is "S&F".  What is that?  

I will upgrade, and explore the customization menus further.  I watched your bits & bobs video.  Very helpful.  The train trestle shot is fantastic!

@wkf94025 wrote:

Thanks Ian.  Only thing I didn't understand from your reply is "S&F".  What is that?  

S&F is Slow and Fast mode -- it's how you can get different frame rates, up to 120, but with no audio.

The train shot is the Glenfinnan Viaduct -- as seen in Harry Potter.

donny1963
Apprentice

Well i have the R6 so not the R5, but i was thinking maybe i should wait and save my dollars and get the R5C, this camera has a cooling fan which is way better but, i did get the R6 i shall see what happens..
The real test will be on my next shoot which last about 3 hours or so, but not constantly shooting the entire 3 hours, it's more like shooting 30 seconds to 3 minutes at a time, then taking a 15 min brake then doing the same over again, some times i do put it on a tri-pod to shoot maybe 4 minutes at a time but that is about it, so my actual recording time all in all for each shoot i do would be maybe a bit over 1 hour in time actual video time.
Spread out from about 10 to 20 video clips..

Announcements