cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 file numbering starting point

PanoramicWest
Contributor

I just bought an R5 and I had to use it for some video documenting immediately as my other camera broke while out of town. 
So the question is: Does video recording affect the file numbering system of still shots?
When I finally took a few photos, the raw file numbering (last 4 digits) started at over 6400 instead of 0001. The box and contents was sealed when I got it so I doubt the camera store tampered with it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Did you format your card in the new camera before you used it? The camera will start numbering files at N+1, where N is the highest numbered file on the card. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Did you format your card in the new camera before you used it? The camera will start numbering files at N+1, where N is the highest numbered file on the card. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

AH OK! Now I feel stupid... Oof

I got the camera while at the WPPI convention a couple weeks ago. Everything was a mad rush and I had all kinds of problems to deal with. I put the old SD card from my 80D into the R5 and started shooting video at the lectures and took a couple of stills also. Dumped everything when I go home and just now looked at the backups. Sure enough, my files on the 80D were numbered in the 6000 range also. The R5 must have continued the numbering it saw on the card, thus why when I put a new CFExpress card in this week, it started in the 6000 range.

Thanks for the heads up @jrhoffman75

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Additionally, videos have a different naming convention.  IMG vs MVI.  So the files coexist in the same directory without breaking the image numbering.  Believe this pertains to the R5 as well

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

OK Thanks for that @shadowsports

Announcements