cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Mark II using both AF motors in RF 600mm f4

Shmukko
Apprentice

Hello everyone,
so far only the R3 (and now the R1) could use both AF motors of the RF 600mm f4. The reason for this is that the batteries of the smaller series are too weak.
What is the situation with the R5 Mark II? There are new LP-E6P batteries, which can also supply more power.
Does anyone know anything about this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Fun facts, some of which remain unverified.  

The LP-E19 is 10.8v, I saw a rumor the LP-E6P was going to have higher voltage, but I'm not sure about that.  Higher mah seems more likely.  (I haven't seen the specs officially published yet).  

The RF mount has 12 pins.  If a RF lens has dual motors both are driven regardless of the body or battery size.  Dual Power AF refers to the communication speed, not the number of motors that are driven at the same time.  The article states that a larger battery makes (both) motors perform faster.  So to clarify, a body that uses a smaller battery does drive both motors, but not with the same communication performance of a body that uses a larger (more powerful battery).  Hope that clarifies things. 😃

**Corrected voltage for LP-E19

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Hi cbusa783,

Since the EOS R5 Mark II hasn't been released yet the information available on it is currently limited. At this time there isn't a Dual Power AF specification listed for it. Once the camera is released the product page HERE will be updated with the camera manual. 

Hi Hazel_T

I waited until the camera was shipping to reply, thanks for the reply and link. What should I look for in the tech. specs? I looked through the R3 specs but can't find mention of Dual Power Af in the R3 Specs, nor the RF 400/600 specs either. 

Cheers

Hello cbusa783,

The [Power Focus (PF)] feature is described in the manual for the RF 400mm F/2.8L IS USM / RF 600mm F/4L IS USM manual on page 15. There is also a [Focus Preset] option described on page 12. I believe these two things are what's being discussed here and sort of combined. You can access the manual for those lenses HERE for reference.

Hi John_Q,

Thanks for looking for additional information. The Power Focus is different, it allows the knurled ring to be used as an electronic manual focus. The benefit is consistent focus speeds either fast or slow.

Cheers

Charlie

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Actually it was the way his question was posed. The subject line of the OP's original post/question was modified by Danny/Mod once we established the question was in regards to Dual Power AF.  The original post asked if the R52 could run both AF motors?  Yes it does.  Will it run in Dual Power AF, (high speed communication mode) is not published yet.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the reply. I don't consider the OP's question answered. The assumption that any camera body supplies dual power does not match what Canon Europe published which states that the function is only available when using the R3 body. (https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/vladimir-rys-super-telephoto-lenses/)

"The Canon EOS R3 is the first EOS R System camera that can take full advantage of lenses with Dual Power AF, thanks to its more powerful LP-E19 battery pack. "You need more voltage to drive the motor, which would have had too much impact on the battery life of earlier EOS R System bodies," explains Mike."

Cheers

Charlie

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Its not answered, because the information has not been officially published yet.  As I said, the post's subject was modified.  There is no assumption.  Both motors are powered.  However, Dual Power AF (high speed communication) which is different than "are both motors driven" has not been established yet.  

The OP interpreted "are both motors driven" as "dual power AF".  Which is still not known.  The OP marked the post as solved.  Technically his question about both motors being powered was answered.  

I do not believe Canon has officially posted this performance specification for the R52 as Hazel_T mentioned.  I've searched the manual which still isn't linked from the R52's support portal and there is no mention of Dual Power AF..  so until Canon posts this specification on the product's web page or manual, support for Dual Power AF for this body is still unknown.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I looked at the R3's manual also, but Dual Power AF is not listed in it as well.  It's a premium feature, and while possible, I'm not going to speculate on its inclusion with the R52.  

I think this would be a very good question for Canon support. 

We also have excellent support resources who we can check with.  I'll see about making an inquiry.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Thanks for checking with Canon support for the answer. I am hopeful the feature is supported by the R5-II, even if it was only available while using a grip. It would be a good excuse to buy a grip too 🙂

Cheers

Charlie

Announcements