cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Mark II using both AF motors in RF 600mm f4

Shmukko
Apprentice

Hello everyone,
so far only the R3 (and now the R1) could use both AF motors of the RF 600mm f4. The reason for this is that the batteries of the smaller series are too weak.
What is the situation with the R5 Mark II? There are new LP-E6P batteries, which can also supply more power.
Does anyone know anything about this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Fun facts, some of which remain unverified.  

The LP-E19 is 10.8v, I saw a rumor the LP-E6P was going to have higher voltage, but I'm not sure about that.  Higher mah seems more likely.  (I haven't seen the specs officially published yet).  

The RF mount has 12 pins.  If a RF lens has dual motors both are driven regardless of the body or battery size.  Dual Power AF refers to the communication speed, not the number of motors that are driven at the same time.  The article states that a larger battery makes (both) motors perform faster.  So to clarify, a body that uses a smaller battery does drive both motors, but not with the same communication performance of a body that uses a larger (more powerful battery).  Hope that clarifies things. 😃

**Corrected voltage for LP-E19

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

I'm not aware of any modern Canon bodies that use a smaller capacity/size battery that is unable to power a lens with dual focus motors.  Using the R8 as an example, it has the ability to power both focus motors in a dual motor lens.  For everyone's benefit, can you please post an example where this applies?

The RF600 f4 manual makes no mention of this either.

rf400f28-600f4lisusm-im-eng.pdf (c-wss.com)

Nor does the RF 200-800

rf200-800-f639isusm-im-eng.pdf (c-wss.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Fun facts, some of which remain unverified.  

The LP-E19 is 10.8v, I saw a rumor the LP-E6P was going to have higher voltage, but I'm not sure about that.  Higher mah seems more likely.  (I haven't seen the specs officially published yet).  

The RF mount has 12 pins.  If a RF lens has dual motors both are driven regardless of the body or battery size.  Dual Power AF refers to the communication speed, not the number of motors that are driven at the same time.  The article states that a larger battery makes (both) motors perform faster.  So to clarify, a body that uses a smaller battery does drive both motors, but not with the same communication performance of a body that uses a larger (more powerful battery).  Hope that clarifies things. 😃

**Corrected voltage for LP-E19

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the clarification! Does this mean that the R5 Mark II uses the motors at full performance?

Shmukko
Apprentice

Ah and isnt't the LP-E19 at 11,1V?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

When I search I see three different voltages listed.  I'll get something definitive in a moment

Images I saw showed 10.8 volts 2700 milliamps. That's what I get for trusting Google results LoL 

Watson makes a 3500 milliamp version.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

LP-E19 is nominally 10.8V as marked, this one just came out of the charger and is about to go back into my 1DX III and shows 11.1V no load on my HP lab DMM.

Rodger

LP-E19.jpg

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements