cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Invalid HFR Recording Time Remaining Counter

rexphotog
Apprentice

I have been using my R5 for video productions since November of last year and I ran into very little problem on startard frame rate recording (all the way up to 60fps). H

owever, I started doing more recording in High Frame Rate mode (120fps) either in 4K or 1080p, the remaining time counter has become in accurate. And eventurely, after about recording 5 minutes of footage in various clips, the timer will zero out and prevent the camera from recording additional HFR footage.

When that happened, it forced me to switch back to 60fps and the counter will goes back to to 29:95 (beyond 30 minutes), and recording resume on the same card as well as writing photos in RAW. This happened on both CFexpress as well as SD, all approved write speed cards.

My examination from the various incident comes down to that the camera see the card to be full at 50GB, regardless of card size in which mine are 128GB SD and 256GB CFexpress, and prevent it from furtering HFR recording. And as I mentioned, it will still allow non HFR recording in all resolution.

I assume this will have to be patch with a future update? Or if anyone have a solution so far? I keep a box of 12 cards on shoots just so I can swap them, but it is still very annoying when I can only get less than 5 minute worth of HFR footage per card.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have no idea how you were able to determine how much memory space the camera can see, but there is limit to how long the camera will record high frame rate video.  

444A694A-1289-4921-AFDB-2A079AB9A4BA.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

On the top left of the video record screen it should indicated time remaining on pre-roll as a count down. Once the camera start to roll, the counter goes up for recording take duation.

When the R5 with a formatted card (CF express or SD) it only gives a rough estimate of 5:00 on the counter in HFR mode, once a few takes recordered, the counter will go down, but only in 1 minute increment instead of actual calculated time as you would outside of HFR mode.

Eventaully it will go to a flashing red 00:00 even though the card still have space remaining. That is provent on set as the camera switch back to non-HFR. Post shoot file transfer also indicated that only 50GB out of the 256GB is being use.

When I do HRF takes, they are usally only 1-2min per take, so it never hits the 7 minutes limit even if the camera will allow it to go befond the 5 min error limited by the firmware.

Ah, but I do see the bottom tag line, maybe it is due to temperature restriction when teh camera hit thermal limit.

I even took the card and battery out and let it sit for 10 minute before reinserting to shoot, but the timer still indicated at 00:00, so I charge my CFexpress into SD and continue recording.

@rexphotog wrote:

Ah, but I do see the bottom tag line, maybe it is due to temperature restriction when teh camera hit thermal limit.

I even took the card and battery out and let it sit for 10 minute before reinserting to shoot, but the timer still indicated at 00:00, so I charge my CFexpress into SD and continue recording.

There is a hard limit of 7:29 for high frame rate recording, which is quite long time for a single slow motion video shot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ExpensiveHobby
Apprentice

I too, have experience issues with recording HFR video. I'm experiencing intermittent
ability to even initiate an HFR video recording. Sometimes, I power on my camera,
switch to my Custom Mode that I had setup for 4K/120fps | All-I | Clog3 video and I'll
correctly see that I have a few minutes of video available to record. Other times, the
time remaining in that mode power-up with 00:00 indication in red and I know I can't even
initiate an HFR video recording.

One day, I was in the field and HFR video recording was working fine - I recorded
84 HFR clips, the longest clip being about 5 minutes, the shortest goof was 10 seconds.
Total time recorded in HFR was 40 minutes. I checked - all files were 3840x2160 at
29.70fps, typically ~460Mb/s. I did not get any over-heat warning during this filming.
I arrived home after a few hours, uploaded the footage to my computer - all went well.
I then powered on my camera in HFR mode and there it was, the red "00:00" indication.
Fresh Canon offical LP-E6NH battery, same ProGrade 325 Cobalt CFexpress card that just
recorded 40 minutes successfully. I powered on the R5 in HFR video mode the next day,
same "00:00" indication in red.

Canon Team - do I have a corner-case faulty R5, or is this a trending failure?
If reviewing the HFR files I have helps, let me know and I can post a sample that your
team can review. R5 sn 072021002082 with Canon 100-400 II, Canon EF extender 1.4x II,
and Canon EF-RF adapter.  R5 Firmware 1.3.1.

2021-July-28 Update:   Hmmm.  This is likely a user issue on my part.  I may have managed to get the 4K slow-motion setting to record in IPB mode instead of the All-I (???) and managed to store that custom configuration???  Once I just went into manual mode and configured slow motion from the starting point, I see that All-I is the default format for 4K UHD HFR.  Readers can disregard my dead-end path!  After saving the custom mode, ensuring All-I mode, the initial issue reported above has not showed up.

Announcements