cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Custom mode and coming back from sleep resets settings to initial from custom mode

osya_bender
Contributor

Here is the use case:

- Set camera to custom mode, say C1 that has shutter speed 1/400 configured for it.

- While in C1 shoot as usual adjusting shutter speed as need, say to 1/125

- Let camera go to sleep

- Wake the camera up

Observe shutter speed is reset to 1/400

I'd expect this not to be the case because letting camera going to sleep and waking it up is not the same (shouldn't be) as turning it off and then on.

If you enable autoupdate for the custom settings it will keep updating it with whatever you choose duting shotting but this kind of defeats the purpose of the custom mode in my opinion, where you are guaranteed to always start from the same set of settings when switch to that mode.

87 REPLIES 87

@axeira wrote:

Any feedback on this? This a problem to me too. I am losing bird photos because as I spend time chasing the bird, when I finally find me in the position to get the shot I want, I find the camera on sleep and all settings reset. This is very annoying. I use C1 and C2 for birds perched and flying birds, but some times I have to change speed and exposure compensation.

You have different settings in C1 and C2 - why, because you want the camera set one way for perched birds and another way for flying birds. The camera ensures that you always have your desired settings by restoring those settings whenever the camera is powered on. It protects you from forgetting to reset the camera if you make changes.

There are times when you may want to temporarily modify conditions; you can do that. But, you do need to make a conscious decision on how long you want to lose the protection of the guaranteed default settings. You can do that by changing the auto power off time. There is a trade off - protection, flexibility and battery life.

Depending on how good your memory is, you could temporarily set the auto update setting to enable. Then, any changes you make during that shooting session will be written to the camera and saved. At the end of the day restore the camera to your desired base settings and then turn off auto update.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi, 

what people want to do, is save different basic settings for different tasks. If you are new to canon and you see that custom modes exist, it was my logic reflection to try to use them for this purpose, but as you say, this is not the way that they are working... I cannot imagine a situation where the way they work seems to be particularly useful but as we cant change that, we have to accept it to be the way it is. But never the less it would be nice to have a way where I could safe my actual settings and recall them when needed. the rest of the time the camera should just function the same way as without c-modes and not change any settings on her own when she is going to sleep mode. I want it to work the same way after returning from sleep as before sleep. and I would like to save typical configuration for different tasks. If there is a way to do this, I wont even bother with c-modes as they don't work as required.

The C-modes offer great potential utility but Canon's implementation makes them somewhat useless. Perhaps this will change someday but I doubt any improvements will come to existing bodies.

Thank you. I could try this temporary solution. But if I allow the C changing, at some point I no longer know what configuration should be there. And reset manualy every day? Not what I expect.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Tutorial on how custom shooting modes work on R5 and R6.  Custom Shooting modes are presets.

https://youtu.be/6aRQ1dMHDJg 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Custom shooting modes, how to use them.

https://youtu.be/v7dXiYeW_oA 

How to register custom shooting mode settings.

https://youtu.be/V4fwZJQ89Zo 

This individual does not understand custom shooting modes.  He never registers them.  So he believes that custom modes are an extension of M mode.

https://youtu.be/nysjEvsy0_k 

Announcements