cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Custom mode and coming back from sleep resets settings to initial from custom mode

osya_bender
Contributor

Here is the use case:

- Set camera to custom mode, say C1 that has shutter speed 1/400 configured for it.

- While in C1 shoot as usual adjusting shutter speed as need, say to 1/125

- Let camera go to sleep

- Wake the camera up

Observe shutter speed is reset to 1/400

I'd expect this not to be the case because letting camera going to sleep and waking it up is not the same (shouldn't be) as turning it off and then on.

If you enable autoupdate for the custom settings it will keep updating it with whatever you choose duting shotting but this kind of defeats the purpose of the custom mode in my opinion, where you are guaranteed to always start from the same set of settings when switch to that mode.

87 REPLIES 87

You have said: "EV compensation ... does not work." and "The compensation gets changed when the camera automatically turns itself off After a minute."  That is not what happens on my camera with the configuration that I have, I tested it before offering the statement and it works fine when I have one of my C-settings selected. 

It seems to me there is something in your configuration that is screwing this up.

So, here is my suggestion. You can save your current configuration to a card, if you do so, and then do a full reset to return the camera to defaults, then add your custom settings one by one, testing at each stage you should come across the setting that is causing you the issue.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Other people in this threat report the issue. I am sorry you cannot reproduce it. It is by default on C1-3 if you don't change anything.

Part of the challenge is that multiple people are contributing to this  thread and I am having conversations with several people, and that is hugely confusing.  Normally, only one person engages with a thread and we will respond to that person.   I have you, and Anuens both giving me information and responding to my responses to them.

Let's get back to the really, really basic question.   Why do you find it necessary to have a M mode assigned to a Custom Shooting Mode in the first place?  Since M mode allows you to set and keep aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings locked and change them when you want, and they are not impacted by a power down of the camera it is a mystery to me why this is assigned to another layer of complication.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Osay_bender wrote this. It cannot be made any clearer.

Here is the use case:

- Set camera to custom mode, say C1 that has shutter speed 1/400 configured for it.

- While in C1 shoot as usual adjusting shutter speed as need, say to 1/125

- Let camera go to sleep

- Wake the camera up

Observe shutter speed is reset to 1/400

Oh, yes.. a third voice.  What is unclear is the need for the first statement:
Set camera to custom mode,  WHY?
M mode is made to set configurations and lock them in place until the user makes the effort to change them Why then would you assign them to a custom setting when that adds a whole bunch of other factors to do with managing the other modes, like Av, Tv etc.  Which is what it was designed for?

Let me make one thing clear.  YOU are obviously frustrated that the system does not do what you want in the way your expect it to, I am frustrated because I am trying to hold a conversations with several people. of obviously different skill levels and that really confusing.  The others have given up in disgust and I am hanging in there but my patience with your hyper critical attitude is wearing thin.

cheers, TREVOR

You said "Set camera to custom mode, WHY?"  Why have the feature if you can't use it?

I wasn't using M mode, that may have been an example.

I use C1 to have my back button AF set up for 2 buttons. On is for eye tracking, the other is for spot AF. I MAY have my exposure compensation set to plu1 one overexposed FOR EXAMPLE

I set to AV and wide open, set shutter speed for minimum of 2000 and Auto ISO. If I shoot a snowy egret, I MAY temporarily set the exposure compensation for a stop less so I don't blow the highlights, if I change to shooting a blue herron, I MAY change my exposure compensation  back. If the camera goes to sleep (turns itself off) within a minute, it will change my ev compensation back to plus 1 stop over exposed because that is what I have programed in C1. The camera will not allow me to keep using the exposure compensation for I want it to do and it changes it every minute. As another poster said, his Nikon, Sony and list of different camera DO NOT DO THIS. Only the R5

to answer the WHY would we wish to do this, my answer would be "to have different manual setting preconfigured for different purposes" and to change between them by selecting C1,2,3 and setting A,S,ISO, Servo mode and some button configurations all at once, without that you have to go through the menu points one by one, when changing between birding and motor race for example. And this part is working, with the selection of c1,2 or 3 I change the basic configuration with one push of a button if I come from the birds to the race track. This is perfect. the only problem is that in C mode the camera changes the last used settings on its own every time it power cycles and there is no reason for this to be good. If I want to start over with what I expected a good starting point for birding or race, I just select the specific custom mode again. but the camera does so everytime its power state changes and this needs to be disabled. after activating one of the C-modes the camera should work the same way it would in M. Imagine  it to be M1, M2 and M3 modes. why would one want that A,S,iso, AF mode changes when the camera briefly goes to powersave and as soon as the next car or bird comes, you get surprised with changed settings?

I suggest that you contact Canon Support directly and log a job with them.  This forum is run by volunteers, many of whom, like me are professionals.  The thread actually belongs to the original poster but several others have started contributing to it and it responding to replies that are not meant for them.  Added to that one contributor who has a serious attitude problem and has taken to abusing those trying to help.  I, for one will not tolerate that.

So, aa of now, I am suggesting you raise this issue with Canon support directly.  It may be how the camera is configured or it may be a feature that they need to change, but for myself, I think that this has become pointless for us to assist.

cheers, TREVOR

No one is abusing you. If you think they are don't respond to them. And as far as me. You are not helping me, you are part of the problem trying to make this more confusing than it is. This has already been sent to Canon. Nothing has been done.

That is exactly what I am experiencing. Surprise after a minute. Same thing happens with a model. You spend a minute stalking with them or posing with them. Surprise. Terrible system. I did not check it because I have not shot with my old D819 but I am pretty sure it does not work this way as someone else suggestions.

Announcements