cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the T7

dbooher46
Apprentice

Hello, I'm new to canon cameras and have a few questions about this specific model as it have it arriving from amazon today. 

I plan to use it mostly for creating YouTube videos (I know its not the best camera for this but its the best i could afford ATM) but there are a few things i have been unable to find details online.

• Is there a limit on the size of the SD card I can use?
  • I Saw a YouTube video of someone turning off Auto Focus to "fake" clean HDMI. Is there any sort of Quality difference if I go this way with it?
  • The Reason I want to use clean HDMI to record is the 30/12 minute limit. I know the 12 minute limit is from the 4GB limitation of Fat. But does this camera support eXFat and if so would this eliminate the 12 minute limit?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Download the manual from the Canon support site, it can answer all these questions.

The camera can use SDXC cards, so you can use the largest one of those you can find.

The 4GB limit applies to the T7.

There is no quality difference between AF and MF, it just does not overlay the focus box.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Yes, it is always a good idea to download the user manual before laying down a large sum of money on a purchase.  I am not sure what type of package you ordered from Amazon, but the ones that include a LOT of accessories are not always the best bundle to buy.

While, the user manual may indicate the camera can use SDXC cards, I do not recommend using them in this camera body.  Hopefully, they have worked out some of the bugs from its predecessors, which did not work well with large capacity cards.  Stick to Full Size SD cards, 32 GB max.

The size of the card will not have any impact on files size limitations.  If you are interested in mainly video, then I think you may have been better off spending a little bit more on one of the M Series cameras that actually do have “Clean HDMI” output.  These bodies also feature Dual Pixel AF, which means the camera can autofocus in video modes, which is something the T7 cannot do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

FYI.  Here is a link to a recent post about issues using a T7 for Live Streaming.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Rebel-T7-Shutter-Resets-While-Live-st... 

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

There was a reference to a special card to be used for video. When I got my T7, I downloaded the manual...all 326 pages. Found it, SD Speed Class 6 or higher. Hope this helps.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

How well does your T7 do with SDXC cards, 64GB or larger.  My T5 would gag on anything SDXC, but was perfectly happy with SDHC cards, 32GB or smaller.  

I know the SDXC cards were good because I could format them in my 6D, and they worked just fine.  Format it in the T5, and T5 would frequently hang, forcing me to pull the battery.  

There have been a few posts in these forums expressing similar issues with the SDXC cards in the T#, like a T5 or T6, Rebel bodies.  However, the T#i, like a T6i, seem to be okay.  Sticking to the SDHC cards always seems to “cure” the problems.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The T7 does not have the ability to start a new video clip as soon as the first one reaches the hard wire limit.  Some more expensive cameras can start a new file when the limit is reached.

As I understand it, the camera will record until 29:59 minutes is reached, tops. Or until the file size gets to 4 GB whichever happens first. The 4 GB file size is reached around 12 minutes of recording in full 1080p HD. You might setting the video quality down to 720p. It may let you record for longer than 12 minutes? However, you still won't be able to record for longer than 29:59 minutes at a time.

I am not a videographer but this is my limited understanding and very limited messing around with it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements