cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Canon Mark 5D IV

keven11
Apprentice

I really hope my question doesn't go unnoticed.

I shoot baseball as a hobby for my website. I had a Canon Mark IV that just no longer turns on. The batteries don't seem to charge. The charger doesn't blink at all or anything. I've even tried a different charger. Still not camera that powers on.

I have around $1,000 to spend on a new camera and a decent lens which I know isn't much. What is the best cheapest camera to shoot sports with?

Also, I am going to try a brand new battery in hopes that it is indeed the battery but if it doesn't work how does Canon support work as far as getting a quote to fix it?

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you using Canon batteries? And purchased from a reputable store? (i.e. not gray market batteries). 

Trying a new battery would be what I'd try first.  If that also fails, your best best is to call up Canon and see about a repair.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Did the different charger result in the battery being charged? If not it is very likely you have a failed battery. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Absolutely agree with John and Rick. 

The first thing to do is realize that if the battery didn't charge on two different chargers, the battery is likely the issue.  If possible, find another (known good) battery and put that in the camera - necessary go to your local camera store and ask to test your camera with one of theirs.   If that works, then get a new Canon brand battery from that store (in appreciation).   Your camera doesn't like batteries made by other brands.  It's a lot cheaper than buying a new camera.  

If a different battery doesn't work, then call 1-800-OK-CANON to talk to their service people, they will help you with the next step.  Don't rush off and buy a new camera yet - the 5DIV? is a great camera and it's worth exploring all the options to save it.

As to a lens for shooting sports.  If you can get the camera to work then look at the following:
Canon EF 100-400L IS USM, or the EF 70-300 IS USM (avoid the 75-300 lenses!!!)  You might be able to get the Canon ones through the Canon Refurbished site - they are lenses that are used but completely serviced by Canon and are like new, they come with a year warranty.

Another alternative, if you can find one used, is either the Sigma or Sony 150-600 lenses.  They are excellent units and will give you the most reach.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements