cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper Settings

katwoman85
Contributor

Hi All.  I am just a beginner still reading my camera manual online and everything.  For some reason, I still struggle with getting the settings correct for taking photos at night.  I have an EOS Rebel T100.  What are the proper settings for getting pictures to come out clear at night?  I tried numerous things and still cannot get it right.  Hope someone with this camera that takes photos at night can give me some feedback as to the proper settings.  Thanks!!!

23 REPLIES 23

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

There won't be any single set of settings to cover taking images; even images at night.

Thus, we'll first need to know what it is that you are taking images of.

As an example, is your subject stationary?  If so, it would probably make the most sense to have a tripod and use a slow shutter speed.  A slow shutter would allow you to reduce the ISO to a lowest-possible value so as to reduce noice.

But no matter what your subject/conditions are, do study up on the exposure triangle.  i.e. how aperture, shutter speed and ISO are all connected.   As you adjust one of those values, you'll have to also adjust at least one of the other two to compensate.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Hope someone with this camera that takes photos at night ..."

All camera equipment has limitations.  You may have exceeded what can be done with yours. Without seeing exactly what you are shooting no one can give you exact settings.

As to learning the exposure triangle, which is a good idea, it can become useless in extreme conditions like nighttime shots. This is where trial and error or bracketing becomes useful.  This is where you shoot the same scene with multiple settings to determine which one will satisfy the "exposure triangle" so to speak. Using a tripod will be helpful here.

Here is a sample a good friend of mine shot using a tripod and a long exposure. Is the what you are after?

000.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.  I am looking to photograph things that don't move like tunnels, abandoned ruins, buildings, etc. some at night and while in haunted tunnels this past weekend I was having difficulty trying to get the shot just right like the one below.  Again, I have a Canon EOS Rebel T100.   IMG_0704.JPG

It is unclear, is the posted shot a "good" one or a "bad" one.

In any case, have you tried to adjust the exposure compensation?

"It is unclear, is the posted shot a "good" one or a "bad" one."

I am assuming it is not what is wanted. It appears like it is a very dark situation.  My guess is you need a tripod and a long exposure.  Perhaps several seconds. I would not use exposure comp and rather set the exposure myself.

Here is what you should do.  Bracket, bracket and bracket.  Set it up on a tripod and try several different shutter speeds.  You can do either Tv mode or full manual.  Keep in mind a doubling of the SS is one stop.  So, if you set a 2 second exposure as a beginning and it is still too dark, try 4 seconds and than 8 seconds, 16, etc. Each time is one stop more light.

Again remember all photography gear has its limitation.  You may have exceeded what is possible with the gear you currently have.

EB

" You can do either Tv mode or full manual. "

I would be more inclined to use Av mode.  Dial in ISO 100, and half press the Shutter Button to check the calculated Shutter Speed is doable, and you do not need to raise the ISO. 

E2414AC3-9D0A-432A-84A2-41571C69883D.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
I want her to bracket and Tv makes that very simple. Or manual whichever.
As with all photography there’s many ways to do the same thing. In this case Tv is best.
EB

Interesting question and replies. I like experimenting with the "triangle" as described. Live and learn.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

I shot this the other night using the technique of shooting in Tv mode and doubling my focal length with Auto ISO.

Since I was shooting at a focal length of 124,. I picked a shutter speed of 1/250th.

The camera set an aprerture of f/11 and an ISO of 3200.

IMG_0471.jpg

Steve Thomas

Announcements