cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems updating the Canon R6 to the version 1.5

ikocs
Apprentice

Good afternoon.

Having problems updating my camera R6 to the latest firmware (v1.5.0). I downloaded the archive from the official site. Downloaded it to the camera via a EOS utility. The camera offered to update as usual, I agreed. Progress has stopped at 56%. After 20-30 minutes I tried to press some buttons or turn off the camera, it did not respond, although the red indicator was blinking. I took out the battery (perhaps in vain). Inserted, the camera again offered to upgrade to a new version and other possibilities were not far away. If you agree to the update, the camera hangs at 56% again, in this state I have had it for a couple of hours. The camera will not turn on without a memory card inside.

Tell me what can be done in this case?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

fscotthopkins
Apprentice

Good afternoon,

I had the same issue. I used the EOS Utility to download firmware 1.5.0 to the card on my R6. The update started as normal but ran slowly. After several minutes it got to 56% and stalled for over an hour. After 90 minutes, the camera was warm to the touch, the red light was blinking, and all buttons including the on/off switch were non-functional.  At that point I pulled the battery. Putting the battery back in immediately started the load procedure for v 1.5.0 again with the same result.  

I was able to restore the current firmware, v 1.3.1 by again removing the battery and manually replacing v 1.5.0  on the SD Card with 1.3.1 using my computer. After re-inserting the card and the battery, the update process restarted and installed 1.3.1 within a few minutes.

At this point I am holding off retrying the update for a few weeks to see if Canon posts an update or others can post a reliable method for upgrade. It's possible there could have been file corruption or a faulty SD card but the fact that two of us with completely different hardware and systems stalled in the same manner leads me to think otherwise.  

View solution in original post

ikocs
Apprentice

It turned out to solve the problem as follows. I took another flash drive with the old firmware v1.4. I shifted the battery and left only one card with the old firmware. It turned out to be upgraded to the old version. Then I loaded a new version (1.5) and updated again. The second time everything went without problems.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I suggest you call Canon at 1-800-OK-CANON. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Agree with Kevin, but you might want to try taking out the card, formatting it and then re-downloading and copying to the card the firmware file.  It could well be a corrupted card.  You should not be using micro SD cards, for reliability, use the full-size SD cards.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

fscotthopkins
Apprentice

Good afternoon,

I had the same issue. I used the EOS Utility to download firmware 1.5.0 to the card on my R6. The update started as normal but ran slowly. After several minutes it got to 56% and stalled for over an hour. After 90 minutes, the camera was warm to the touch, the red light was blinking, and all buttons including the on/off switch were non-functional.  At that point I pulled the battery. Putting the battery back in immediately started the load procedure for v 1.5.0 again with the same result.  

I was able to restore the current firmware, v 1.3.1 by again removing the battery and manually replacing v 1.5.0  on the SD Card with 1.3.1 using my computer. After re-inserting the card and the battery, the update process restarted and installed 1.3.1 within a few minutes.

At this point I am holding off retrying the update for a few weeks to see if Canon posts an update or others can post a reliable method for upgrade. It's possible there could have been file corruption or a faulty SD card but the fact that two of us with completely different hardware and systems stalled in the same manner leads me to think otherwise.  

ikocs
Apprentice

It turned out to solve the problem as follows. I took another flash drive with the old firmware v1.4. I shifted the battery and left only one card with the old firmware. It turned out to be upgraded to the old version. Then I loaded a new version (1.5) and updated again. The second time everything went without problems.

Thanks for the follow up ikocs.  I ended up following the same steps. I put version 1.4.0 on an SD card with no other firmware files and inserted only that card in the camera. It successfully updated to version 1.4.0. I repeated the process with version 1.5.0 and this time it worked.

I realized after my initial post that I originally had two copies of firmware on my SD card, version 1.3.1 and 1.5.0. I don't know if the issue was caused by trying to skip from 1.3.1 to 1.5.0 or if the issue was related to multiple firmware versions. Regardless, I think it makes sense when updating firmware to ensure there's a single SD card with a single firmware image on it before starting.

Thanks once again

hmm, it seems I also had version 1.3.1 with version 1.5 on the same map. I don't remember for sure anymore, but it seems so.

Announcements