cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem updating EOS RP to firmware ver. 1.6

John_SD
Whiz

I am encountering a firmware update issue on my EOS RP, which has bricked my camera 4 times as I have attempted to update it several times without success. I am running firmware version 1.5 and have attempted to update to 1.6. I go to the Canon USA site, ensure that I enter my EOS RP model for the appropriate firmware, select the 1.6 version for Widows, and download it to my laptop without issue. I then extract the .FIR file, and copy it to my SD card that has been formatted in-camera, also without issue. I further ensure that the file is copied to the root directory, not inside any folder. I have also used this card for images and have had zero issues with it. When I navigate to the firmware tab in camera and press OK, the camera immediately bricks, and the viewfinder goes black. Normally it would show a progress bar. No on/off switching will resolve it. So I take out the card and battery, reinsert them, and when I turn the camera on, all is well with functionality again. Firmware remains at version 1.5. 

The procedure I have described above has worked for other firmware updates without issue. However, I am now running Windows 11 on my laptop, not 10. I am wondering if this could be an issue? Thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

Have redownloaded the zip? Maybe it was corrupt. I just can't imagine Win 11 being the problem, but you never know.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I agree.  Try to download the ZIP file agaib, doing another extract.  If you know how to confirm the checksum, then do that, too.  I also do not see OS version being an issue, either.  It is an executable file for the camera, not the OS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, gents. I've actually done fresh downloads several times, and did so once today. Same unfortunate results. I also agree that it is unlikely that Windows 11 is somehow incompatible with the firmware. My action plan now is as follows: 1, I will format the card in-camera one last time, but this time I am going to remove the DCIM and Misc folders that get created as a result of the format. Then I will copy the .FIR to the card and try to update the firmware anew. 2. If that fails, I'll format the card in the laptop itself, and try again. 3. If that fails, I will contact Canon and ask for their aid. The only other thing I can think of is that the firmware is corrupt on the Canon site, but would be shocked if that were the case. At this point, I don't believe it. But I am running out of ideas. 

"My action plan now is as follows: 1, I will format the card in-camera one last time, but this time I am going to remove the DCIM and Misc folders that get created as a result of the format. Then I will copy the .FIR to the card and try to update the firmware anew. 2. If that fails, I'll format the card in the laptop itself, and try again. 3. If that fails, I will contact Canon and ask for their aid."

All of the above actions have failed. I even used a fresh SD card to copy the .FIR, but that too resulted in a failed firmware update. As soon as I press OK to update the firmware, the screen goes immediately black and stays that way until I remove and reinsert the battery. I will contact Canon for support this Monday.

John_SD
Whiz

OK, I was able to resolve my issue over the weekend and get the firmware updated to ver. 1.6.

My problem is that I was attempting to invoke the firmware update process as I navigated the screens through the viewfinder, as that is what I am used to doing in the field. After many failures and the screen going black as soon as I hit OK to update the firmware, I decided to try the process using the touchscreen LCD. That allowed me to complete the process without incident. Nowhere did I find an indication that the the EVF shouldn't be used, as it does allow access to the firmware update screens. But do it that way, and you will brick your camera. 

Announcements