cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture Styles

calsportfolio
Contributor

I just purchased a new Canon Rebel T7 and have been trying to set it up and understand it. I am at the point where I want to designate my Picture Style. I have followed the manual step by step, and there is no option on my camera to choose "Picture Style".  According to the manual, where it should be, the only options I have are "Live View Shoot", "AF Method", and Grid Display.

On the other options, I have "Image Quality", "Beep", "Release Shutter without card", "Image Review", "Peripheral Illumin. correct", and "Red-eye reduc.".

Nowhere do I see the option for Picture Styles... can anyone help?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Are you in Green Square Auto? If so, you need to swith to Program mode.

In Green Square Auto the camera sets Auto Picture Style.

Screenshot 2021-05-21 200321.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

THANK YOU! That was it. I figured it was something simple, but couldn't find anything in the manual to assist. Thanks much for your prompt attention.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Screenshot 2021-05-21 192515.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks John, but as I tried to say in my question, when I click on the first two options at the top (the ones in "red") I don't get anything like what you are showing on your screen. That is the screen shot from the manual (which I have). My problem is that none of many of those options don't show up! That is why I am so confused. I am assuming maybe I have missed another setting somewhere that increases the options? I had started out in "raw" image, but thought maybe that was the issue, so changed my camera setting to the "large" image setting. But that didn't change any of the options on the screen you are showing me.

Are you in Green Square Auto? If so, you need to swith to Program mode.

In Green Square Auto the camera sets Auto Picture Style.

Screenshot 2021-05-21 200321.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

THANK YOU! That was it. I figured it was something simple, but couldn't find anything in the manual to assist. Thanks much for your prompt attention.

Glad I could help. Welcome to the forum. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John, thanks for your reply re:T7 Picture Styles. It was a review/reminder for me. I need to be more aware of the different settings.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

"I need to be more aware of the different settings."

For the best output from your camera you need to select and shoot Raw format.  There is no picture style, nor most any other setting, as that is done in post where you can put it anywhere you desire. It is as simple as uploading to your computer as conversion is done automatically. You probably already do that anyway. Canon offers the very capable DPP4 editing software free with each camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If using DPP all the incamera settings including Picture Styles are applied to the RAW file when displayed in DPP. They can be modified and changed in DPP. 

The current version of Lightroom also has the capability of applying camera settings, including Picture Styles, to be applied when the images are imported into Lr. Unfortunately this does not work for .CR3 files other than the EOS R. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"...using DPP all the incamera settings including Picture Styles are applied to the RAW file when displayed in DPP. "

However, this is simply the conversion process so the Raw data can be displayed on your monitor. It has nothing to do with the extended editing possibilities from Raw opposed to shooting jpg and selecting a picture style in-camera.  Far and away better to use the Raw format.

"...Picture Styles are applied to the RAW..."

"Applied", but not baked in as it is when using jpg.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements