cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AEB with flash

kevthewev
Contributor

I have an EOS 1Ds Mk3 and EX580 Mk2 flash. On a recent job I was bracketing the ambient light using the AEB function on the camera but when I attached the flash the bracketing function stopped and the camera went into single shot mode, is this normal?

I wanted to keep the AEB while using the flash on manual to give a constant flash output but the same thing happened with ETTL.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

@kevthewev wrote:

I have an EOS 1Ds Mk3 and EX580 Mk2 flash. On a recent job I was bracketing the ambient light using the AEB function on the camera but when I attached the flash the bracketing function stopped and the camera went into single shot mode, is this normal?

I wanted to keep the AEB while using the flash on manual to give a constant flash output but the same thing happened with ETTL.

Any ideas?

My guess is that it is normal and that it happens because the flash can't recycle fast enough to keep up with the burst of shots that occur with AEB. You could try turning the flash power down or powering the flash with an auxiliary battery pack. But whether either of those measures does any good may depend on who's making the call. If it's the camera, it may have no way of recognizing that you've speeded the flash up a little.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

The shutter speeds were in full seconds mainly so the camera didn't fire the 3 shots - I did it with a sutter release cable. It also happened when using the off-camera shoe cord 2.

Just read the main page in the manual where it states that AEB cannot be used in bulb mode (understandable) or if you use flash.

I thought it must have been a custom function that I had got wrong, so didn't go back to the basics!!

Announcements