Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo or format issues with new M50

michaelhudson
Apprentice

Good day everyone. 
I have a new M50 Mark II.  
I had formatted the SD card.  At least I think so. 
I took a few pictures outside for practice and when I had put the SD card into a reader into a MacBook, none of the pictures showed up.  
It was just a blank square on the screen, where you would normally see imported photos.  
However, 2 short videos were there.  
Am I missing a step somewhere?   I would be grateful for some help.  

Thank you.  

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Did you intend to take the videos that showed up?  I am asking in case the camera recorded a video instead of taking still images.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hello Tronhard, 

Yes.  I shot 2 videos of a few seconds.  They look fine.  

I'm stumped as to why I can not see the photos, once imported.  I see the thumbnails in the Device album, once I plug the reader with the SD card in.  

however, once I click import, they seem to disappear? 

I am not familiar with the settings on this camera at all... something to learn.  

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

It might be worth checking where your Macbook is set to direct the imported images and if the Macbook is configured to show previews of your images - by the way JPG or RAW?   It may be in a different place from the videos.  I am not a Mac user, so my help here is limited.  

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Put the card in and run Image Capture. Does it find them?

Hello there 

I opened the image capture and I see the photos.

I picked the desktop and they went there but they will not open.

I get the message,

"Preview currently does not support this raw file format."

I admit, I do not know, what that means.  

I'll keep trying to figure it out.  

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You need to switch to JPEG. If you need to, just reset all the settings.

I believe I have figured it out.  

I had Catalina running on my Mac.  I'd searched and found an Apple discussion, in which someone stated, that they had an M50 and images wouldn't import.   

It turned out, I just needed to upgrade to Big Sur.  All photos show up in RAW format, the auto bracketing features is real nice for real estate and videos look great in 4K on the computer screen.  

Crisis averted.  

Jamie, this is a different issue and should have its own thread.  That said, I have been a professional for 40 years and shoot with a EOS M5 - which is more inclined towards stills than video or hybrid.   While I have vast array of gear to choose from, I use the M5 for projects where its weight and bulk advantages are applicable.

As to the comments by the studio owner... HE is the unprofessional one.  His job is to rent out the studio and to encourage you, as a customer, to return - not to comment on your gear.  By his totally undiplomatic comments he is certainly not encouraging you to be a return customer.

The camera you have is capable of taking great shots.  It's just a tool, and the majority of impact on your images will come from your skills as a photographer and your ability to extract the most out of the gear you have.

cheers, TREVOR

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It should be the results that matter, not the camera. 24 Megapixels is more than enough resolution.

Announcements