cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pentacon 6 Lenses on EOS 1n FILM camera

OEProPhoto
Apprentice

Anyone have any success trying to make that work? I have an adapter that works fine on my 5D IV and 5Ds bodies. But, today when I tried using an adapter on an EOS 1n film camera it didn't work correctly. I was able to mount the Pentacon 6 lens on the camera just fine. I put the 1n into Manual mode, focused fine, adjusted the exposure as I do with the 5D bodies. But, when I pressed the shutter button the shutter opened and then never closed. I looked at the LCD display on the top of the camera and it showed a "bc" error which normally means a problem with the battery. I knew that couldn't be the actual problem because the batteries are new and worked fine earlier in the day with a Canon 50mm. I returned home and removed the K&F Concept adapter along with the lens. When I looked inside, the mirror was still up. As soon as I put the Canon 50mm lens back on the mirror returned to its normal position. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have 7 Pentacon 6 lenses that I really like the look of and was very much looking forward to using them with film. I hink that the older lenses with film would make amazing images.

Thank you in advance for your help with this matter.

3 REPLIES 3

Ray-uk
Whiz

I know the EOS film cameras had a switch built into the lens mount (about 10 O clock when looking into the camera mount), if this switch isn't actuated then things don't work properly, I wonder if your adaptor is actuating the switch as it is probably made for EOS digital.

@Ray-uk wrote:

I know the EOS film cameras had a switch built into the lens mount (about 10 O clock when looking into the camera mount), if this switch isn't actuated then things don't work properly, I wonder if your adaptor is actuating the switch as it is probably made for EOS digital.

I have seen this problem before when using manual lens adapters on Canon EOS film cameras. You can try putting something into the lens mount to engage the switch. Some people have used a small ball of rolled up paper to jam the switch. 

But, sometimes the problem is that the switch IS being activated by the adapter, but the camera body contacts don't see an EF lens attached. This can also cause the error. One thing to try is to back off the lens a little, like you are taking if off so that the pin is not engaged. See if the shutter fires then. You could also install an AF confirmation chip on the adapter to fool the camera into thinking an EF lens is attached.  

More info here: Lens Detection Microswitch 

And here:    http://forum.mflenses.com/help-eos-film-cams-and-non-canon-manual-lenses-t19743.html 

And here:  https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3618442 

_001.jpg

Mike Sowsun

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Started shooting film seriously in 1976.

Have many happy memories and nostalgia from this time in my life. 

I think getting the lenses to work with your 5 series DSLRs is remarkable.  

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with an EOS 1n, but I suspect the camera is not able to properly communicate with the lens.

Your manual:

EOS_1N_manual.pdf (canon.com)

F-12 controls operation of the mirror and "lock up"

"BC" can mean more than a depleted battery

BC.png

One last recommendation.  DxO FilmPak - High Quality Analog Film Renderings.

Skip the EOS n1...  shoot with your 5 series bodies, have the flexibility of reviewing what you shoot, not hoping you got the shot....  and enjoy all of the offerings a modern and far superior imaging device provides while getting all of the analog film renderings you ever imagined or wanted.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements