cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D mark iii auto focus issue, not the usual ones

chriserben
Contributor

Hello,

This is what I am hoping is a setting issue, I have however tried just about everything and read everything I can find out there and have not found a solution. The AF seems to work in live mode. The AF in ANY other mode tries to work but does not focus on any target, just goes through the cycle of trying to locate a target then stop, from one end of the spectrum to the other no focus no beep. I have tried every AF mode I can find. It seems the AF mechanisms are working but it just can not see. I have reset all functions and settings multiple times. Anyone? Thanks folks!

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@chriserben wrote:

Hello,

This is what I am hoping is a setting issue, I have however tried just about everything and read everything I can find out there and have not found a solution. The AF seems to work in live mode. The AF in ANY other mode tries to work but does not focus on any target, just goes through the cycle of trying to locate a target then stop, from one end of the spectrum to the other no focus no beep. I have tried every AF mode I can find. It seems the AF mechanisms are working but it just can not see. I have reset all functions and settings multiple times. Anyone? Thanks folks!

Welcome to the forum. 

That problem is frequently caused by an inadvertent setting. You stated you reset all camera settings and custom functions. 

A possibility is some foreign material like sensor dust on the AF sensor. 

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Auto-focus-stopped-working/td-p/152170  

Set the camera in manual sensor cleaning mode, to lift mirror, and carefully use a squeeze blower to blow off the AF sensor at the bottom of the mirror box. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

yes sir tried that. Thanks

Yes this was done. Thanks

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What lens are you using?  Does the camera have sufficient light and contrast for the AF system to function?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have tried many lenses in all light conditions.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It sounds like the AF chip in the mirror box is bad.

This could be a possibility, is this something that can be replaced? I have opened cameras and changed LCDs and a controller joystick, or is this terminal? Thanks

I suppose it can be replaced, it is the alignment that is hard.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements