Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Get Pure White Background?

jYeary
Contributor

Hi guys,

(Shooting on Canon M50 Mark II)

I have two lights, and a white backdrop for my product photos and I can't help but to get these photos with a slight grey or yellowish background.

I really need to get a pure white background so I don't have to edit every single photo in photoshop.(I have lots of products to shoot)

I keep my iso at Auto, and have played around with my shutter speed and aperature.

Generally shooting at f 7.1 and shutter speed from 1/8 - 1/15.

I have tried using the auto white balance, custom white balance by using a white piece of paper, and I've tried using kelvin white balance, but still cannot get that true pure white color.

IMG_0549.JPG

23 REPLIES 23

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

What kind of lighting are you using? Flash, strobe, constant lighting? You need to light the background with its own bright light source. 

Mike Sowsun

You're not going get a pure white background straight out of the cameras.  You need to create it post with an app like PS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

You're not going get a pure white background straight out of the cameras.  You need to create it post with an app like PS.

I think this is one of the best Photoshop Tutorial channels on YouTube.  Photoshop Training channel.

https://youtu.be/XqVovsFZyck 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

IMG-0529.jpg

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

White balance is not the problem, exposure is. Adjust the exposure (Either in manual mode or use exposure compensation) to get the background white, and then adjust the lighting on the product to get it right.

It is the same problem you face shooting snow.

So you're saying stay in auto white balance mode and adjust exposure?

I've tried adjusting the exposure but it seems to overexpose the product and I lose quality in my photo.

You can create white backgrounds in camera that would only need very little adjustment in post.  It is tricky though.

For example, you often needs multiple lights.  Lights on the background such that it will illuminate it evenly.    Power output needs to be adjusted so as not to add too much backlight to the subject.

One slick method I always thought was neat was to have a large square/rectangular softbox serve as your backdrop.

There are numerous other ways; recommened searching for how to evenly light white backgrounds for product photography.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

The easiest way for you to get a white background is to move one light very close to the white background and then adjust the position so that the light is only illuminating the white background and not your subject. 

Then position the other light to illuminate the subject, but place it farther away so that the light on the subject will not be as strong. When you make your exposure for the subject, the white background will be overexposed and turn out completely white. 

Experiment with the position through trial and error until you get the results you need.   
Mike Sowsun
Announcements