cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overexposure in Automatic Mode (Canon Rebel t5i)

zachgoll
Contributor

I do not remember this happening in the past, but all of a sudden, the automatic mode on my Rebel t5i overexposes everything when I take a photo.  

Here is what I have already done:

• Factory reset all my settings
  • Compared a JPG vs. RAW photo - They were exactly the same, which means the image processor in my camera is fine

From what I understand, exposure compensation and metering settings do not impact the photos taken in auto mode, so I am looking for possible explanations that do not include these two subjects (assuming my understanding is correct).

Thanks!!

11 REPLIES 11

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The best standard test to see if the camera is working as it should, after a clear all settings and all custom settings is;

On a nice sunny go outside with the camera set to P mode. Lens set to AF, middle FL. ISO to 200 and WB set to auto.

Take a few shots of several different things. AF working as it should.  If you photos are good there isn't anything wrong with the camera. The problem lies elsewhere.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The best standard test to see if the camera is working as it should, after a clear all settings and all custom settings is;

On a nice sunny go outside with the camera set to P mode. Lens set to AF, middle FL. ISO to 200 and WB set to auto.

Take a few shots of several different things. AF working as it should.  If you photos are good there isn't anything wrong with the camera. The problem lies elsewhere.

That makes sense.  I'll have to go try that.  Sounds like there is not really a straightforward answer to this problem which I had suspected, but wanted to confirm here.  Thanks!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements