cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overexposed

Ayielle14
Apprentice

ive been having problems taking pictures with my camera and have reset my camera settings multiple uses and hav tried everything. This camera is in good shape and I love it.  Each Time I take a picture no matter what mode the camera is on The photo comes out very overexposed or like if you were taking a picture of the sun. Ive tried taking a photo of multiple things inside and it is semi-bearable but once you try to take a picture of something outside it’s not worth it. It comes out horrible. You can’t see anything. Just overexposed.  Is it just a simple button to fix? How do I fix this? What do I do? I need help ASAP

6 REPLIES 6

SamanthaW

Hi!
To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the model of camera you have.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, you can check out your support options here: https://canon.us/MyCanonAccount

Thanks! 

Ayielle14
Apprentice

Sorry I forgot to mention I have a canon Rebel EOS T1i and I use lens of 55 to 250 mm

Ayielle14
Apprentice

ive been having problems taking pictures with my camera and have reset my camera settings multiple uses and hav tried everything. I have a canon Rebel EOS T1i and am using a lens of 55 to 250 mm. This camera is in good shape and I love it.  Each Time I take a picture no matter what mode the camera is on The photo comes out very overexposed or like if you were taking a picture of the sun. Ive tried taking a photo of multiple things inside and it is semi-bearable but once you try to take a picture of something outside it’s not worth it. It comes out horrible. You can’t see anything. Just overexposed.  Is it just a simple button to fix? How do I fix this? What do I do? I need help ASAP

Even in full auto mode it takes overexposed images?

I would suggest resetting the camera back to factory defaults and trying to see if that addresses the issue.  Though first put the camera in automatic mode and try taking an image in a well-lit scene.   If that works, then try the other modes, Av, P, etc.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Greetings, Ayielle14

You have performed some of the troubleshooting steps that I would have suggested like clearing the camera settings and testing the camera in different shooting environments.

I would suggest to set the camera to the Scene Intelligent Auto (A+) mode on the Mode Dial on top of the camera. This allows the camera to adjust the settings accordingly to provide a proper exposure.

If pictures appear overexposed in this mode then let's test a different lens. There's a possibility that the aperture blades are getting stuck inside the lens to where it's unable to close them to let less light travel through the lens.

If other lenses produce the same issue with an overexposed image then it may be an issue with the EOS Rebel T1i camera where it may not be metering correctly. We would have suggested to send the camera in to our facility for repair but I'm sorry to say that the facility no longer repairs this model. An alternative option is to participate in the Canon Upgrade Program.

The Canon Upgrade Program option allows you to replace your current camera with a new or refurbished Canon camera at a discounted price. If you would like to take part in the Canon Upgrade Program, please call our Sales Department at 1-866-443-8002 from Monday - Saturday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered. Be sure to have your serial number for your camera available at the time of your call.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have a canon Rebel EOS T1i and am using a lens of 55 to 250 mm. This camera is in good shape and I love it."

It is hard to love something that isn't performing the way it is supposed to. Here is what you do to start the troubleshooting process. First off if it is a camera problem the Rebel T1i isn't a good candidate for repair so you will be shopping for a new camera.

Now first reset the camera. I know you have done it many times but do it once more for me. Menus, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings. Now select P mode. One shot, not Ai-servo. ISO 200 and daylight WB. Make sure the lens switch is in the AF position. On a nice sunny day go outside and shoot several deferring subjects. Trees, people, animals, landscapes, etc. If the camera and lens works everything is OK. Success, great!

If you are still seeing overexposed pictures, try a different lens. You probably have the standard kit lens that came with the camera when you bought it. Usually a ef-s 18-55mm standard zoom. If you don't have another lens you will need to borrow one for this test. However, make sure you do not change any of the camera settings. If the second lens exhibits the same overexposed pictures the T1i is done. But your lenses are OK. However, if the pictures now come out good, with second lens tried, the problem is with the ef-s 55-250mm zoom. Shop for a new lens.

Good luck.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements