cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orange blinking light

EdJarman
Contributor

Hello all,

i have a EOS T6. I recently purchased a 30d for the 28-135 lens. I got it fairly cheap so i don't expect it to be perfect. But one of the problems i keep having is the orang flashing light in various light conditions. I now know it means slow shutter speed. In manual mode that makes sense and i have kinda started to figure it out. but it happens all the time in auto mode as well. When i get it in auto mode i have switched to manual mode, and changed the shutter speed so it will take a picture and then immediately go back to auto mode and now it works. I have other lenses and i have only had this problem if i forget to turn auto focus off when taking pictures of the stars at night. Is there a trick i am missing?

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It could just be unable to achieve AF. If something more serious, I doubt the 30D is a good candidate for repair. If you have a local camera store take it in and have them check it out. If not maybe you can return it.

The 28-135mm zoom seems an odd choice to photograph stars.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Im not gonna use the 30D. I wanted the lens that came with it. Its not for taking pictures of the stars, that was only an example that i used for the only time i have seen the light flashing. Im going to use it for general photos out and about.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you intend to do astro work you really need to be in all manual control anyway. A lens like the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens is a great choice. It has a reasonably fast constant aperture and is fully manual. You could make some stunning shots with a properly working 30D and the Rokinon. Best of all the Rokinon isn't expensive. 😊

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have been using a canon 10-18 and seems to work fine for now.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Which orange light? There is no orange light that "indicates a slow shutter speed". There is the (usually red) light that indicates disk activity and the light on the front to indicate that you are using a delayed shutter, and possibly red-eye reduction.

The orange light in the viewfinder.

Do you mean the focus confirmation light? That has nothing to do with shutter speed.

Untitled.jpg

I got some bad info, yes that is the one.

That makes more sense with in not taking photos in auto mode.

Announcements