cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Patterns in Image - My Camera on LSD

Not the best shot of a Mallard drake, but I kept this image because of the crazy patterns. I'm not sure what all had to come into play for this to happen, but I can speculate. This effect was only in a few of the 200+ shots I took at this lake. The water looked normal to my eyes, the sky was clear and blue, and there was nothing close by, like buildings, trees, etc., to cast a reflection. There was, however, a large number of sea gulls buzzing around. Light sometimes does crazy things and I just wanted to share this.

** I forgot to add that this was lightly edited in DPP and converted to jpg from Raw. This is basically the way it came from the camera**

EOS R5, RF 100-500mm L, f/11, 1/800th, ISO 800.

Mallard MAL-01Sb.jpg

Tighter Crop of Patterns.

Mallard MAL Patterns-01a.JPG

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
3 REPLIES 3

unclejace54
Enthusiast

At 1/800s you for all intents have frozen the water into a very odd solid shape caused by the various waves interfering with each other. The odd shapes the waves on the water create is in turn causing odd reflections. I don't think it is a camera problem. It's more of a physics experiment.

Mike5d4
Apprentice

Hello. From your pics that looks like a corrupted memory card. Has the card been formatted in camera? I would first try another card .Has this happened anywhere else? If you're not using a filter in bright sunlight in water you could get reflections, but I think that's a corrupted memory card. Let us know what happens. -Mike in FL 

For the record, I had posted this in "General Discussion" (but it was moved by admins) because I just wanted to share the photo, not to ask if I have camera problems, my bad for not being more clear. There is no problem with the camera and as I mentioned "Light sometimes does crazy things", and unclejace54 called it. My angle to the sun and subject and the very disturbed water surface made this possible. There was a man throwing bread to the birds and the gulls were dipping into the water which created ripples that were coming from various angles.

Thanks for the comments and replies.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements