cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number sequence out of whack!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Attended a dog show and took 144 photos. Downloaded them from the card to my laptop. OK, so far. When I went to view them. the were interspersed with photos that my wife too weeks ago. Her photos would be IMG.XXXX.jpg but my photos would be IMG.XXXX,jpg(1). Any ideas what happened? Need to check the camera numbering sequence,  Canon T7?

Thanks in advance. BTW, going back to the show tomorrow. Show was in a covered arena with open sides so I had to play with settings. Good experience as I had to watch settings and adjust over/under exposure, f/stop, lens speed, ISO, etc.

Hate to go through all 144 and transfer to a new file. Should have made the file before downloading the card. Live and learn.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
43 REPLIES 43

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you both using the same camera or separate cameras?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Good point! The wife uses a Canon SX530 HS and mine is a T7 EOS Rebel 1500D. As I mentioned, I should have made the Dog Show file to send photos. Need to spend time transferring them to the new file.

Thanks for the observation.

John

Fortuneately only a few were mixed with the wife's hummingbird photos. I moved them to a separate file for the dog show and went through them. May be a bit off topic but, again, it was a learning experience. I need to brush up on technique for photos while the dogs are moving around the ring.

Attached is one of the best ones. Neighbor shows a rare breed in the US, Lowchen, aka the lion dog due to the clipping pattern. Your critique is welcome. Settings: Canon T7 EOS Rebel, 1500D, 1/50 sec., f/5.6, 55mm, ISO 400.IMG_8706.JPG

Thanks to all, again!

John

"Your critique is welcome."

Remember you asked for it.

First and most important your WB is way off. Exposue is a bit low needs 1/2 stop more.

IMG_8706.JPG

Second when you compose a picture it's never good to cut people in to parts or half. Either include the handler or leave him out.

Not a critique but there isn't any reason to u/l a 40" photo. You should crop it down so it won't be so large in file size. 1.7 meg vs my example of a few 100 K.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

EB, thanks for the input (critique). Took 166 photos at show today...some very good, some good, some bad and some just downright lousy. It was hard as the arena is covered but the four sides are open which, to me, causes some exposure issues. One place can have good photos but moving a bit can bring in more outdoor light. This afternoon, I changed from cloudy to shade and found some improvement.  I see what you are saying as they can be cropped as needed. Mainly took them for my neighbor and his friends who also have the Lowchen breed. This would be for their own information about the show. I didn't take RAW photos as any basic editing can be done on File Explorer or DPP4. Don't plan on publishing or printing, etc.

Edit re: WB- need to check and see the setting. I think it was cloudy yesterday but changed to shade as I mentioned previously. Weather was more "sunny" yesterday. Cloudy today and, remember, under the cover.

Again, thanks.

John

"One place can have good photos but moving a bit can bring in more outdoor light. This afternoon, I changed from cloudy to shade and found some improvement."

Sorry, my friend, but those are excuses not reasons. A photographer adjusts to different reasons for exposure changes.

"I didn't take RAW photos ..."

Big mistake! You should always shoot Raw. If you had, WB would not be an issue since Raw does not record WB. You can set it on post. All your photos are going to the computer anyway. Right? So, Raw is a none issue as DPP4 imports automatically. Sets bacis settings which you tweak to perfection.

Also, keep in my no photographer gets every shot. Nada, never happens. Not every picture is prize winner. However, "Don't plan on publishing or printing, etc.", each shot needs your best effort. Most of all shoot Raw!

EB

Points taken and filed away for reference. Thanks. These photos were taken solely for the people showing their dogs. RAW wan't necessary as they wouldn't see them on File Explorer and/or the Dog Show files. I will be seeing my neighbor later this week and the jpg files will be available for viewing. I wasn't planning on editing them with DPP4 or PSE. Most of the photos I take have jpg and RAW together. I can see the photo on File Explorer Photos or see photos in a specific file. RAW photos are available for editing if needed.

As I mentioned, this was a learning experience for me, adjusting, experiementing with different settings in different environments. I was shooting with Av and Tv, using different settings to see the specific results. Tried the Sports setting for motion of the dogs running in the show ring. Only used it once due to noise.

John

I will make one last plea and suggest you use Raw then leave you to your own machinations about photography. There is probably no other one thing better that you can do to improve your pictures than using Raw. Raw goes into your computer exactly the same way a jpg does and if you don't want to post edit you do not have to. Leave it as is. At this point you have lost nothing and nothing in the way you do your procedure is changed. File Explorer, DPP4 or PSE no matter, no difference.

However, if you want to make the shots the best they can be, Raw is there.  Raw + jpg just uses up more SD card space and takes longer for the camera to process and save. Important if you ever get into high speed shooting. Longer to u/l to the computer and more HD space, too. Remember you are not using an iPhone.

EB

Questsion, EB, how do I view the RAW photos? If I go to the File Explorer, they are a "symbol" along with the jpg. If I click on the RAW .cr2, I don't see anything. How do I view them as a RAW only? Thanks.

John
Announcements