cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to see thumbnails

DavidOlson
Contributor

Can anyone help me.

I have 2 lap tops. When I try to view my photos from my Canon 6D Mark II on one I can see the thumbnails and they open and I have all the camera information. When I try to open them on the other I can not see the photo in the thumbnail and when I try to open it it says "It looks like we don't support this file format" and I don't have any of the camera information.

Does anyone know why It may work on one but not the other lap top. I also have a Canon 80D and when I try to open the files they open as they should on both computers.

If I go through an edit program they open just fine. 

I should just be able to put the card in the computer and look at the thumbnails without going through an edit program. Just can't figure out why it works on one computer but not the other. Any ideas would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You probably have two different build versions of windows 10.  Back in about 10th May of this year MS offered one of their maintenance updates (quite a big one as I recall) and it included support for an update for their Camera RAW extension.  You can download the files you need Here .

If this resolves your issue please click on the resolution button so others can find this more easily

NOTE: this requires the May 10 update for Windows 10.  You SHOULD be keeping your windows up to date and patched as a matter of course, but you will definitely need to have at least the May 10 pack to install the extension.  You should also note this is not an app, so you cannot communicate with it direectly... best read the information in the update screen.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are the operating systems and versions the same on both computers?

Are they RAW files?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes I shoot in Raw.

Both computers are Windows 10 64 bit same version.

It is really weird. My 80D opens thumbnails in both, my 6D Mark II only opens thumbnails in one. It is really inconvienient not to be able to sort through the thumbnails. Any ideas. Even if you think it is basic. Thanks for any help.

You probably have two different build versions of windows 10.  Back in about 10th May of this year MS offered one of their maintenance updates (quite a big one as I recall) and it included support for an update for their Camera RAW extension.  You can download the files you need Here .

If this resolves your issue please click on the resolution button so others can find this more easily

NOTE: this requires the May 10 update for Windows 10.  You SHOULD be keeping your windows up to date and patched as a matter of course, but you will definitely need to have at least the May 10 pack to install the extension.  You should also note this is not an app, so you cannot communicate with it direectly... best read the information in the update screen.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you I will check that out

I do have the same updates on both computers. In fact I am putting the new Nov. 1909 update on the one that does not show the thumbnails correctly. I also wanted to mention that I just got the 6D Mark II so not being able to see the thumbnails isn't something that just happened. 

@DavidOlson wrote:

I do have the same updates on both computers. In fact I am putting the new Nov. 1909 update on the one that does not show the thumbnails correctly. I also wanted to mention that I just got the 6D Mark II so not being able to see the thumbnails isn't something that just happened. 

Ok, so have you downloaded the file for which I gave you a link yet?   As I understand it that is separate from the patches themselves.

cheers, TREVOR

Yes I went to download it and the computer said it was already downloaded.

@DavidOlson wrote:

Yes I went to download it and the computer said it was already downloaded.

"Already downloaded" does not necessarily mean "already installed".

Also, there are more than one version of Windows 10. The "Home Edition" does not have everything that "Windows 10 Professional" has. You need to be certain that the operating systems on both computers really are the same.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks I will do some more digging. I appreciate the help.

Announcements