cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Earphones cannot connect to my Canon 80D

FLaska1112
Apprentice

So I just bought these earphones that also works as hearing protection that I usually use for motorcycle riding from Big Ear. The problem is that it doesn't work with my Canon 80D but works with my husband's(same camera model). It's quite frustrating because I tried plugging every earbuds I have in the house in my cam's headphone jack and each of them works. I tried calling Big Ear too and they said their products work on any device since it doesn't have a mic line-in. Could this be a bug? A wiring problem? What should I do?

Here's a video of the earphones/earbuds just so you can have an idea of what I'm saying.

1 REPLY 1

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I suspect that the plug on your earphones is on the margin of one of the size specs for that model plug and isn't making proper contact with one of the points inside your 80D.  Since your other audio devices work OK with your camera, I would try returning the current pair of phones and try another pair.  Unfortunately, audio connectors for most of these devices are produced at the lowest cost possible (that includes the mating female jack side inside your 80D) so if you get two devices that are on the opposite extremes of one of the critical measurements they won't function together.

You could use an accurate dial or digital caliper to measure the diameter and length of each of the three conductors on the headphone jack (tip, ring, and ground) and compare those measurements to one of the working devices and it might tell the story.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements