cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northern Lights Camera Comparison

Lorrii
Apprentice

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum, but not entirely new to Canon cameras.

I'm ready to up my camera to a new model, and am trying to decide which one to go with.  My current options are:

5DS and 5D Mark iV.

I'm lucky enough to be able to see the Northern Lights on a regular basis, and while I get some decent pictures with my old T1i, it's time for an upgrade.

Looking at both of those models, I see that the Mark iV has a higher ISO range, but of course, the Ds has the 50mgpixel size.

There are lots of comparissons for daytime shots, but I've yet been unable to find one for nighttime shots.

Admittedly, I'm a bit out of touch with the current camera technology, so would appreciate any feedback for both cameras specific to thier suitability for nighttime photography. Or if a different model altogether would suit better, I'd like to hear.

Thanks in advance!

Lorrii

5 REPLIES 5

diverhank
Authority

Since the 5DIV has a newer sensor with much better dynamic range (ability to push the shadows),  I'd go for that instead of the 5DS.  30Megapixels are way more than enough for pictures of northern lights, imho.

For years Canon cameras suffer from the ability to push the darks/shadows beyond 2 stops (without excessive noise).  The new sensor in recent cameras (80D, 1DXII and 5DIV) solved that problem and you can push it 5 stops easily (rivaling Nikon and Sony finally).  This means that I can shoot underexposed then post process...No need for multiple shots to get HDR for most cases. 

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

From what I've been researching, that's the way I was leaning, diverhank.

Wanted some opinions from those who would know better through experience and figured where better to ask than a Canon forum!

Thanks a lot!  Much appreciated.

5D Mk IV with out doubt.  The 5Ds and 5Dsr are more specialized cameras. I assume you intend on shooting more than just the Northern Lights?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks ebiggs1.

Yes, more than just the Northern Lights, but I have the opportunity a lot so want to be better equiped.

I was definitely leaning towards the Mark iv, so it's good to know I was thinking in the right direction!

Cheers,

Lorraine

Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements