cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise

whitsitt1423
Contributor

I sent my camera to get calibrated.  Now there is a TON of noise in my photos.  Could something have happened?  I can't figure it out.  Thanks!!

8 REPLIES 8

@whitsitt1423 wrote:

I sent my camera to get calibrated.  Now there is a TON of noise in my photos.  Could something have happened?  I can't figure it out.  Thanks!!

What model of camera? Where did you send it? And what, exactly, does "calibrated" mean? Have you checked to make sure that the camera wasn't left with an absurdly high ISO setting?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Canon70D, Samy's Camera, lens 50mm & 70-200mm,  Photos weren't as sharp as they should be so I had the lenses calibrated (to the camera??).  But now the photos look much less sharp and have a ton of noise.  

@whitsitt1423 wrote:

Canon70D, Samy's Camera, lens 50mm & 70-200mm,  Photos weren't as sharp as they should be so I had the lenses calibrated (to the camera??).  But now the photos look much less sharp and have a ton of noise.  

The only thing Samy's Camera can do is to do a micro-adjustment procedure for you...only Canon can do more.  This auto focus micro adjustment (AFMA) is something you can do yourself.

AFMA does not affect the camera noise level so that is weird.  Do you have the same noise at all settings (Av, Tv and especially ISO)?  Normally if you set to a higher ISO, you get more noise...it is possible you tried shooting at night after you get it back and in auto mode, ISO is high and therefore more noise...that is simply the way any camera works...

The best for you is to bring it back to Samy's to at least find out what they did to your camera and lenses.  If it's just AFMA, you can go to the menu and disable AFMA or set everything back to zeros.

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thank you!!  I'll check it out 🙂

By the way...at the risk of offending you, I will offer some info regarding why sometimes pictures are "not as sharp as they should be".  There are several reasons and not all are equipment related. Actually most are photographer related.

1.  focus is not precise (this is what you are suspecting) - problem with camera and lenses.  This happens but rarely.

2. You or the camera focus on the wrong point.  When your Av -aperture value is small, depth of field is shallow, the camera focus on the wrong part of the object,  For example you want to photograph a pelican and the camera chooses the outspread wing instead of the eye...your pelican is not going to look too good.

3. Pictures taken in low flat light (indoors) appear to be soft even though the focus is correct.  This is due to lack of contrast rather than focusing.

4. you hand hold the camera and you shake too much,  This is the most common reason why your pictures look soft,  The easy solutions are:

4a. For handholding: use a faster shutter speed (use Tv or M).  The rule of thumb is to set the shutter speed the inverse of the focal length you're are shooting.  For example if you zoom in to 200mm, set your shutter speed to 1/200 or faster.  I always set my shutter speed as high as possible.

4b. Whenever possible, put the camera on a sturdy tripod. Cheap $50 tripods shake more than you do so avoid those.  For long exposure shots, you will also need to get the mirror locked up and release the shutter by self timer or by remote control...all steps to avoid camera shake...this is necessary to get the razor sharp pictures you see people posting online...

5. When you are moving or your subject is moving, you will need to up the shutter speed significantly. I normally shoot at 1/2000.

Edit: So before concluding that your camera/lens have problems, go outside where there are enough light, set your camera to a high shutter speed. use single point focus and focus on something contrasty, take the shot and see how it turns out.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Not offended!  Grateful!  Thank you for taking the time.  I was in a class and the teacher suspected that maybe the lens needed to be calibrated.  I think I have all the points you discussed.  It doesn't seem like there should be so much noise.  Especially with group photos.  I try to keep everyone focused but I seem to end up with a lot of noise.  thanks for your time! 

Could the camera be set to the highest ISO?

@diverhank wrote:

@whitsitt1423 wrote:

The only thing Samy's Camera can do is to do a micro-adjustment procedure for you...only Canon can do more.  This auto focus micro adjustment (AFMA) is something you can do yourself.

The software that Samy's Camera needs (or already has) costs 200-300$/camera and has been available since 2009.

Announcements