cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newer Rebel T7 hot shoe center pin

DedTreeJig
Apprentice

I just purchased a Rebel T7.  I know the original version did not have the center pin on the hot shoe, however mine does have the center pin.  Does anyone know if the center pin is active?  Would I be able to use a third-party flash with the camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

normadel
Authority
Authority

Where did you get your info?

A flash shoe without the center pin can't be a hot shoe. The center pin is the "hot" pin. Without it a flash can't be fired. So YES, your center pin is active and live.

You can use a third-party flash meant for Canons, though Canon doesn't recommend it. You can even use a manual  flash from the pre-digital days, if it has a trigger voltage no higher than 6 volts. There are varying opinions on how high a trigger voltage is dangerous for the camera, but 6 volts is safe.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

250 is the standoff voltage. When the shoe activates it shorts it, so no over voltage. The contacts are designed to handle the current.

Lotus7
Rising Star

"A flash shoe without the center pin can't be a hot shoe. The center pin is the "hot" pin. Without it a flash can't be fired."

In fact, many Canon and Sony cameras have Hot Shoes that do not include the center pin. Starting in May 2019, Canon began selling many models using the new 4-contact only hot shoe with NO center pin. Sony did the same even earlier. The new 4-pin hot shoe was/is compatible only with certain Canon-brand flashes.

Apparently, because of the backlash created by elimination of the center pin Canon has re-introduced the center pin contact on some, but not all cameras.  There are 3rd party adapters available that allow use of most "traditional" flash units with the "center-pinless" hot shoes, although it's still not advisable to use a flash with a high trigger contact voltage.Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 2.34.27 PM.png

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Canon redesigned the hot shoe circuitry somewhere around 2004 to make it safe up to 250v.

Here is a reference for you:  https://digitaljournalist.org/issue0703/tech-tips.html 

784DD410-68C7-474C-83AF-E3DC70911DBD.jpeg

Canon cameras that have a PC sync port have this warning in the user manual:

A9D490D1-C22C-4903-92D1-BA21047DC903.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Really appreciate the effort, but honestly the 2007 reference creates more questions than it answers.  It basically says that all EOS Rebel models (which would include my T7/2000D/1500D/KissX90 model) are good for only 6V.  Although I appreciate Canon's desire not to disclose proprietary information, to me this kind of information should fall within the category of "product specification".  Unfortunately neither the user manual nor published specification for the product provide any information, limitations, or warnings on use of third-party flash units other than the possibility of something other than an Ex Speedlite not working.  It says nothing about damage to the camera.

So, as I just said, the 2007 article clearly says that all "EOS Rebel Series" cameras are good for only 6 volts.  Am I reading this incorrectly?

Yes, you are reading it incorrectly.

Rebel series Digital SLR cameras (350D, 400D, etc) are good to 250v. Only the 300D and “EOS Rebel Series” FILM SLR cameras were 6v. 

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

Yes, you are reading it incorrectly.

You really have to decrypt that listing to figure out what is what.  The heading covers both 35mm and digital cameras and I made the assumption that "EOS Rebel Series" included digital cameras.  I suspect that others have done the same, which is where the 6 volt limitation came from for the newer DSLR's.  Thanks again.  So, I think if feel reasonably comfortable trying my old flash units (even if they may not provide maximum functionality).  I was mostly interested in being able to try the 6000AF macro flash.

Announcements