cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie with t5 with lens questions

Ponchonutty
Contributor
OK I finally saved up and bought me a nice camera. Two things that I want to use it for is for my sons' Friday night football games and also for interior pictures in real estate. The kit came with the standard general purpose lens. What should I look for to make sure I can take good telephoto pictures with poor lighting? Also for interior real estate pictures can I get away with using a fisheye lens adapter ? Thx!!!!
45 REPLIES 45

theandies
Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat.  I will be shooting my son's HS football games so I need some telephoto capabilities.  I've got my brothers EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III that I’m going to experiment with. I’m going to shoot RAW+JPEG so I can post process the RAW if the lighting is not good enough with this slow lens. Our school stadium lights are pretty good though. I’m not looking to get Sports Illustrated quality photos just ones that any amateur can be proud of and of course my son likes. If my results stink then I’ll start looking into a faster telephoto. I didn’t realize there were used lenses on the market. Thanks for that info.

KEH is a good source for used camera equipment.  Buying used lenses especially the lesser quality stuff can be risky.  Check it out carefully.  KEH and some other give a little warranty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@theandies wrote:
. If my results stink then I’ll start looking into a faster telephoto. I didn’t realize there were used lenses on the market. Thanks for that info.

Canon sells refubished lenses and gives a 1 yr warranty...same as new lenses.  I trust Canon and have bought refub from them and have had no problems.  If you keep an eye out on the Canon Store regular, you can catch these refub lenses on extra discount.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-lenses

Ponchonutty
Contributor

Well, I won a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lens for $64 on Ebay with 90 warranty.  I know it probably isn't the best but it's a start.

That's the lens that I'm going to try during my son's football games.

be careful when buying online, beware of grey market gear.  make sure the seller is a repetable merchant.   There's alot of  camera gear knockoffs.  Many are grey market products that originate overseas.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
There is no difference between gray market and Canon USA. Canon USA imports and warrant its lenses. Most of the time there is no advantage to buying a gray market. And if you need warranty you can be in big do-do!
EB

Ponchonutty
Contributor
This was a used lens off eBay here in the states

Than there is no difference!  Smiley Happy

EB

Ponchonutty
Contributor
Just picked up a Nikon d3200 that's basically new with extra lens and other stuff. Now to decide which one to keep?????
Announcements