cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New M-5

Does the new M-5 advance the mirrorless ball (other than in the obvious way of finally providing a built-in eye-level viewfinder)?

The specs are rather vague regarding the camera's aotofocus system. One can read them as implying that there is no manual selection of AF points.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
40 REPLIES 40

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Until cameras like the M5 work just like a cell phone they will never be popular."

I'm not sure I get the point you're trying to make; in fact I'm pretty sure I don't. But I don't think I'd agree with it if I did.

Whether one likes it or not, mirrorless cameras are almost certainly the wave of the future. Here's a prediction: Fifteen years from now, a third of the cohort of serious photographers who now use a DSLR exclusively will have never seen one.

I think you need to re-word this. Unless you mean that 1/3 of current DSLR photographers are using their cameras with their eyes closed. 8^)

@kvbarkley wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Until cameras like the M5 work just like a cell phone they will never be popular."

I'm not sure I get the point you're trying to make; in fact I'm pretty sure I don't. But I don't think I'd agree with it if I did.

Whether one likes it or not, mirrorless cameras are almost certainly the wave of the future. Here's a prediction: Fifteen years from now, a third of the cohort of serious photographers who now use a DSLR exclusively will have never seen one.

I think you need to re-word this. Unless you mean that 1/3 of current DSLR photographers are using their cameras with their eyes closed. 8^)

No, I mean that if you look at today's DSLR photographers and project into the future what the corresponding group of users will look like 15 years from now (when many of us will be dead or in nursing homes), many of the group's new, younger members will have bypassed DSLRs entirely. Obviously I have no actual knowledge of what the percentage will be or how long it will take. But barring some unexpected technological advance, I think it's bound to happen.

Bob

@kvbarkley wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Nope he is spot on. 15 years ago how many serious photographers had a dSLR?

16 years ago I got my first digital camera (Canon and it still works), but, it wasn't a dSLR. It wasn't until 2004 that I got a dSLR, and honestly it was a [expletive deleted] (Nikon).

I know what you meant, but you said that in 15 years, 1/3 of serious photographers who currently use a DSLR will never have seen one.

You meant: 15 years from now 1/3 of the serious photographers will never have used a DSLR, they will have only used mirrorless.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I know what you meant, but you said that in 15 years, 1/3 of serious photographers who currently use a DSLR will never have seen one.

You meant: 15 years from now 1/3 of the serious photographers will never have used a DSLR, they will have only used mirrorless.

I think everybody now knows what I meant. I guess I can live with the perceived ambiguity of my original statement. My record as a prognosticator isn't good enough to justify any further attempt at clarification.

BTW, I just noticed that Canon's spellchecker doesn't recognize "mirrorless" as a word. Somebody should correct that oversight.  Smiley Happy

Bob

Sorry, I was just making a joke. Hence the smiley.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

I think everybody now knows what I meant. I guess I can live with the perceived ambiguity of my original statement. My record as a prognosticator isn't good enough to justify any further attempt at clarification.

BTW, I just noticed that Canon's spellchecker doesn't recognize "mirrorless" as a word. Somebody should correct that oversight.  Smiley Happy

I think the game changer will be come when someone can make a reliable, full-frame mirrorless camera with a selling price comparable to full-frame DSLRs. I'm guessing Canon may be a couple years away from, assuming they're even trying to head in that direction. 

The current EF-M lenses are not professional lenses, and the M bodies are too small to hold a battery that can shoot more than 200 shots, or so.  I mostly use manual lenses with my M3 to not drain the battery with EF size lenses.  I discovered that it has manual focus peaking after I started using it, which is great for macro shots.

I only know about FF mirrorless cameras from Sony and Leica.  The Leicas cost an arm and two legs.  The Sony cameras have a growing reputation for overheating when shooting video.  The still photo performance of the Sony FF mirrorless cameras doesn't stand out from the crowd, either.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

B from B,

"ebiggs1 wrote:

I'm not sure I get the point you're trying to make; in fact I'm pretty sure I don't. But I don't think I'd agree with it if I did."

Let's see you don't get the point but you don't agree with it?  OK!  Maybe one of the problems with this forum, ya think?

Kids today and young adults and even some older people are used to using a cell phone with all the social connections it brings. Until a camera like the M5 or any other P&S operates like a cell phone it will never be popular.  It has to have connectivity and touch screens that type stuff.

The first thing that happens when I hand my camera to somebody is they look at the back of the LDC to see the picture.  I have to tell then, "No you need to look through the view finder!"  This is foreign to them and odd.  Then try to explain they can't put the picture they just took on their FB page.  No, again I say, you have to go home get your computer fired up. Take this silly little SD card out of the camera and u/l it to the computer. Then you can u/l it to FB.

Don't try and say well the M5 has wi-fi because it is a joke compared to a cell phone.  So is it's bluethooth.  Yeah, it 'finally' has a form of touch screen so maybe there is hope.

The camera companies haven't seemed to learn this so I am not surprised any of you don't realize it either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

@"ebiggs1 wrote:

I'm not sure I get the point you're trying to make; in fact I'm pretty sure I don't. But I don't think I'd agree with it if I did."

Let's see you don't get the point but you don't agree with it?  OK!  Maybe one of the problems with this forum, ya think?

Kids today and young adults and even some older people are used to using a cell phone with all the social connections it brings. Until a camera like the M5 or any other P&S operates like a cell phone it will never be popular.  It has to have connectivity and touch screens that type stuff.

The first thing that happens when I hand my camera to somebody is they look at the back of the LDC to see the picture.  I have to tell then, "No you need to look through the view finder!"  This is foreign to them and odd.  Then try to explain they can't put the picture they just took on their FB page.  No, again I say, you have to go home get your computer fired up. Take this silly little SD card out of the camera and u/l it to the computer. Then you can u/l it to FB.

Don't try and say well the M5 has wi-fi because it is a joke compared to a cell phone.  So is it's bluethooth.  Yeah, it 'finally' has a form of touch screen so maybe there is hope.

The camera companies haven't seemed to learn this so I am not surprised any of you don't realize it either.

Technical savvy users (Millennials), will know how to use the WiFi and Bluetooth of the M5 to immediately upload their photos to Facebook and other social media. 

Canon Camera Connect

@TTMartin wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

@"ebiggs1 wrote:

Technical savvy users (Millennials), will know how to use the WiFi and Bluetooth of the M5 to immediately upload their photos to Facebook and other social media. 

Canon Camera Connect

My sons upload stuff to their smartphones, and from there they're good to go from there.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements