cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing help for school - Gear Recommendations

MsChris
Contributor

I am going to be starting a college photography course at the end of the month and I need some help choosing the right equipment, I am hoping to be able to lease to purchase all of my equipment and if possible I would like to bundle it all together. I have a list of the required equipment needed.

33 REPLIES 33

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Chris, I completely understand and appreciate you being clear about that.  In that case I think a change to a DSLR is the way to go.  If we stick to Canon's refurb offerings for the present the best cheapest unit is the Canon EOS SL3:  for a review see: Canon EOS Rebel SL3 review: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com) , right now it is available on the Refurb site HERE   There are cheaper units but not any that I would recommend.  I note that it is highly regarded for those starting out with DSLRs, which I hope will be helpful.

As to the flash - they offer that for $149 and that should work well with this and other Canon camera bodies that you may graduate to in the future.  That just leaves you with the remote  and tripod you can get these on eBay but do a review on the tripods or contact me to see what I think. 

How does that look to you?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

What about a Canon EOS Rebel T1i camera? Would this be an acceptable and fairly decent beginner camera? Or should I continue looking for something else?

MsChris
Contributor

I am also considering the Canon t3i with ef-s 18-135mm lens & Battery grip. I'm just unsure of which would be the better choice. The first one is less expensive, both are 2nd hand which is going to be the most financially compatible option for me at this time

Hi again...

I was in the middle of responding to your last post when this one about the T3i came up. 

Of the two, the T3i with the 18-135 and battery grip is, by far, the better option.  The Canon EOS 18-135 is a better lens than the 18-55 (although you did not specify any lens with the other body).  The T3i is a much newer camera, but about 4 years, has a much better sensor and screen. 

You should still make sure the vendor can be trusted and check the condition of the camera, including the shutter count - it is considered to have a wear-out value of around 100k shots

The video is much better, if you need that.  Having a battery grip is also an advantage if you have to go out on day shoot, want to shoot portraits (because you can tilt the camera and there is another set of controls for portrait work.  The T1i is almost 14 years old, and while I have one and it can take decent pictures, it demands more of a photographer to get the same results as the T3i.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I have one of these too, so I can assist you with some advice on the use of it if need be.   I am happy to help people on their photographic journey, now that I am retired and I like to give back to the community.

I recommend you check out the following video on this camera - in the UK, where it is made, the camera he is reviewing called the EOS 650D, but is essentially identical except that it doesn't have a touch screen interface: see the video HERE 

A review from the Review site DPReview is: HERE 

cheers, TREVOR

To give you an idea of what this camera is capable of producing, I enclose some sample images.   Note that a lot depends on your experience in using any camera, but I am trying to show you what it can do for you as a learning tool.

I have found a better review of the EOS 600D body HERE 

Canon 600D, 60mm, f/3.2, 1/13 sec, ISO-200Canon 600D, 60mm, f/3.2, 1/13 sec, ISO-200Canada BC Victoria Legislature at Dusk.jpg

IMG_0530.JPG

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I really need to get everything for the lowest price I possibly can and then I just upgrade later on down the road."

I admit I didn't read all the replies, too much fluff, but I hear your situation all the time. Matter of fact I rarely hear anyone say, "I have money to burn so spend away!" Keep in mind buying and then rebuying is not a cheap way to go. You will almost certainly wind up spending more than just biting the bullet and get good gear at the start.

However, it is still out of reach for some of us. I was there believe me. I would look to a used Rebel like the T8i or other recent model, T7i, T6i, etc. Check FB marketplace, ebay and perhaps a local pawn shop. Only buy from a person or place that will let you try or test out the gear before final purchase. I have seen a Rebel T3i and kit lens go in the under $300-$250 mark for a mint copy. A Rebel T7i and kit perhaps double that around $600-$500 for a mint copy. A Rebel and kit lens is perfectly adequate to get your photography education going forward.

A Rebel compatible flash can be added later as class requires it. On word of advise, don't cheap out on the tripod. Get a good one but it can be a used unit also. A good top quality tripod rarely wears out so a good buy on the used market. If you are living in a college town you should have no problem finding used photography gear for sale!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I just saw there were even more replies than I even though at first.  🤔

"I am also considering the Canon t3i with ef-s 18-135mm lens & Battery grip."

The battery grip is unnecessary for a beginner. Its best attribute is, it makes a Rebel easier to hold and handle. You should have more than one battery whether you have a grip or not so that ends that advantage. The (batteries) are not that difficult to switch out when needed. But the most important advice is, if you must have or want a grip make sure it is a Canon brand and not a off brand model. Also some models of Canon cameras are not designed to use a grip. Yet some off brand makers try t make one. They are a bad idea. Don't do it.

IMHO, I would not buy older than a Rebel T3i. They are getting pretty long in the tooth now. This thread is way longer than it needs to be for such a simple solution. Used Rebel! 😉

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Molly4dolly
Apprentice

It's always exciting to dive into a new field. Regarding your equipment needs, leasing to purchase sounds like a great option. Bundling everything together can also make it more convenient for you. If you share your list of required equipment, I'm sure the community here will be happy to help you with recommendations based on their experiences.

Screenshot_20230412-073320.png

 i have attached a photo of the camera requirements for the course. I have approximately 6 weeks left before I begin any classes that require the equipment so I am going to have to make a decision sooner rather than later 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements