Need help picking a camera

jessmc0125
Contributor

Hello,

I’m very new to photography and trying to pick a camera. I mainly want to shoot portraits. I thought I wanted Mirrorless and now I am unsure. Any help or guidance would be great. 

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10

stevet1
Authority
Authority

jessmc0125,

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Steve Thomas

I’m leaning toward mirrorless I’m just unsure on which one to go with. 

Hi Jess, and welcome to the forum:
First and foremost: what is your budget in $ terms?  We can spend a lot of money but it's poor advice if you can't afford it.
Second, what media do you intend to produce?  This has an impact on sensor size.  For a start, I would stay away from crop sensors, stick with full-frame sensors such as one of the R5 and R6 variants.  They offer much better dynamic range and better ISO performance to give you less noise and better colour rendition.  That said the R6 variants have a bit less than half the MP size of the R5 models.  This has an impact on output.  The R6 units will work fine for social media, digital display and moderate size prints - up to 11x17".   If you intend to go significantly above that, then you would need to look at the R5 units - but that comes at a significant price.

Also, the body is not the only thing that has a significant impact on your image.  The lenses you use have an arguably greater effect and often cost more than the body - they certainly represent a much longer-term investment.

Again, this is where budget is a major factor.  Some of the professional-grade L series lenses, while fabulous are also a fabulous price.

So, if you can come back with a $ amount for total expenditure that would be really helpful, plus your intent - is this as a hobby, part-time work or fully professional intent?  As a hobby, you are more likely to be price restricted but the demands on quality will be less too.  For professional work expect to invest more - but it is a business expense.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hello!

this has been so helpful! Thank you!! Based off of what you said I feel R5 is what I would be looking for most likely. It’s really to start as a hobby and maybe do some part time work as well at some point. My biggest reasoning for wanting this is to be able to have high quality photos taken whenever I want so I don’t need to wait on anyone and take care of editing myself.
I would say budget to start would be $4k-$5k? However, if I need to invest more I would be willing to. 
I’ve done some research on lenses which is also overwhelming… I would love best options on what to start with and also what to add. I’m mainly going to start with taking photos of my daughter and dogs. 
-Thank you!

Hi again Jess and  thank you for  your prompt and informative response.
So, let's summarize...  You would like the capability to take high-quality photos with an eye to earning money from the gear in the future.   Definitely, that suggest a full-frame camera and, for the cost, I would suggest considering the R5 - not the R5 MkII.  The R5 has the same capacity sensor, but does not have, or need for portraiture, the stacked/back side illuminated sensor and high-speed bus, designed for sports and wildlife.  The R5 actually has a better dynamic range, and just as important delivers much the same capability for portraiture as the later model, but at a lower price point.

As to lenses.  If you want to go for quality right away, I would suggest one of two zooms. Either the Rf 24-70L f/2.8, or the RF 24-105L f/4.  Both are great lenses at a reasonable price - I have had 3 of the latter and they were all great.   If you coupled one of those with the RF 70-200L f/2.8 or f/4 then you have a very, very effective package.

Now, so as not to break the bank, I would suggest starting off with the R5 body and the RF 24-105L f/4.  You can learn about the technology and art and then when you find you need to, then expand your range of optics.   At the same time, when that does happen - and I would consider your move into 'prosumer' (part-time pro) activities the trigger, then also consider a second body and I would make that backup camera one of the R6 variants - cheaper, but with better dynamic range again and brilliant cameras.
You can pick up a refurbished body from Canon's Refurb site: these may be new but over-stock, opened but not used, show or demo units but 'good as new' and with a Canon warranty.  Here is a link to the R5:
Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R5 Body | Canon U.S.A., Inc. for $2,609
For the Rf 24-105: Shop Canon Refurbished RF24–105mm F4 L IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc. for $1,169.

Thus for an initial investment of $3,774, plus the cost of good quality cards: (note never use micro-SD cards with adapters), extra LP-E6N batteries, and possibly a BG-R10 or BG-R20 battery grip (useful not only for its extra energy reserve but for the duplicate portrait controls)  you will be sorted to go within your gear budget.

HOWEVER:
Given you are starting out, you might want to start with a much smaller investment that is still capable but much cheaper by reversing the order of the body purchases.  In that case, consider a refurb R6MkII - a 24MP camera that will still produce great images, even better dynamic range, and decent prints up to about 11x17", but at a much lower price point.  You can pick up one of those at the refurb store:
Canon EOS 6D Mark II Camera Body Refurbished | Canon U.S.A., Inc. for $1,259 - so a significant saving.

So, there are some suggestions with hard numbers.  I hope that this helps.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Jessica,

Since you want to do portraits, and also some outside work, in addition to your camera and lenses, remember to set aside some money for a tripod, an extra battery or two, some extra memory cards, an external flash, etc.Those can all add up.

Steve Thomas

JaneDoe_2017
Contributor

Hi Jessica! I’m also new to photography. My budget allowed for a DSLR and so far everything is great. But the clicking from the mirror and shutter physically moving EVERYTIME I take a photo…. Is bothering me quite a bit. 
To be totally fair, noises never bothered me and I wouldn’t consider myself sensitive. But something about all those mechanics making noises while I’m working. Really grinds my gears lol. 
Food for thought. It’s an aspect that I didn’t come across during my own research: and since I don’t own any mirrorless tech, I wouldn’t be able to tell you if they also make noise

Thank you for that! I have been leaning toward mirror less. I’m just overwhelmed on what to get. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

When people are just starting out, we always ask them to tell us about the type(s) of photography that interest them most.  Wildlife, Sports, Portraits (etc).  How they plan to use their camera, and what they envision taking pictures of.  Another important consideration is output.  Will you post images to social media, view on a computer or print large images.  Last and almost equally important is budget.  

Since DSLRs are no longer receiving any development, I do not recommend investing in this technology.  Cameras with a full frame sensor are better suited for portraiture.  Lenses are the real investment in photography.    Body's will come and go.  We can make recommendations once a budget is established.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements