cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice taking this photo

Laz
Apprentice

Hi everyone! I just bought a Rebel T6 and I have a 75-300 and a 18-55 lens, and I really need help taking this picture. 

The light on on the wall is green, red, purple, etc. I find a way to take the photo with the light not drowning out the rest of the photo. 

Is is there anything that I can do?

IMG_2036.JPG

5 REPLIES 5

You have to adjust the white balance to cancel out the predominant color. You can do it in the camera or in post-processing, but the former may be impossible if the color of the light is continually changing. as your question seems to imply. Correction in post-processing is fairly easy if you shoot in RAW mode, not so much if you shoot JPEG. Consult your camera's user manual and that of your photo editor (e.g., DPP).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think you should punt.  Just turn the thing off.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ScottyP
Authority

HDR.

Or punt. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although your WB is off, it will not correct your biggest problem. All cameras have a limit to what they can do.  You have exceeded the exposure limit of your Rebel T6.  The only way to get everything exposed correctly is by multiple exposures and than stacked in post edit. Common term for this is HDR or High Dynamic Range.

What you are going to do is take three shots with the T6 on a tripod.  The first is going to be 1 stop under exposed. The next will be correctly exposed and of course the third one is 1 stop over exposed. Next you need to post edit your shots to stack them. If you have a program like Lightroom, perhaps some others, the stacking is a few simple mouse clicks.

Having never used a Rebel T6, I can't say but it may be possible to do HDR in the camera itself.  No post editing.  Some of the newer models have that feature.  Check your manual to see if the T6 has that.

Never "punt", there is always a way.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Although your WB is off, it will not correct your biggest problem. All cameras have a limit to what they can do.  You have exceeded the exposure limit of your Rebel T6.  The only way to get everything exposed correctly is by multiple exposures and than stacked in post edit. Common term for this is HDR or High Dynamic Range.

What you are going to do is take three shots with the T6 on a tripod.  The first is going to be 1 stop under exposed. The next will be correctly exposed and of course the third one is 1 stop over exposed. Next you need to post edit your shots to stack them. If you have a program like Lightroom, perhaps some others, the stacking is a few simple mouse clicks.

Having never used a Rebel T6, I can't say but it may be possible to do HDR in the camera itself.  No post editing.  Some of the newer models have that feature.  Check your manual to see if the T6 has that.

Never "punt", there is always a way.  Smiley Happy

The T5 cannot do in camera HDR, so I would expect the T6 would also force the user to use DPP for HDR shots.  The T5/T6 also lack compensation for light flicker, so getting the WB right will hit or miss at best, mostly miss IMHO.  Not being able to adjust for light flicker can make taking a good set of HDR shots hit or miss, mostly miss IMHO.

I'm not trying to claim that the sky is falling, but sometimes the path of least resistance is the best one.  I say punt.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements