cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help! Video Files Changed to CR2 somehow????

Steve_S
Apprentice

My Friend Brandon was shooting Video on his Rebel T5 at a event and when he tried to import the footage into Adobe Premier, it was CR2 image files that were not readable. He previewed the videos in camera but after trying to import the footage, the videos are not readable in the camera. The files appear to be CR2 image files but they are the size of video files 240+ Megs . He gave me the card to help him figure this problem out. I have tried opening in every program with no success. Any Idea what happened? is it possible to save the video footage?

6 REPLIES 6

@Steve_S wrote:

My Friend Brandon was shooting Video on his Rebel T5 at a event and when he tried to import the footage into Adobe Premier, it was CR2 image files that were not readable. He previewed the videos in camera but after trying to import the footage, the videos are not readable in the camera. The files appear to be CR2 image files but they are the size of video files 240+ Megs . He gave me the card to help him figure this problem out. I have tried opening in every program with no success. Any Idea what happened? is it possible to save the video footage?

Is it possible that you or Brandon inadvertently renamed the files? See if DPP will read them as RAW files. If not, try renaming one of them to the type of a video file and see if that solves your problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have tried DPP to try to open the RAW files, And I have tried renaming them as well. Thanks for the suggestions. I think this footage might be lost.

He does know that you don't use the shutter button to start and stop movies, right? You set the camera to movie mode and press the live view button.

Yes, Brandon has made videos before. Even though he is new new to this he had previewed the videos in camera. This problem happened at the import process somehow changing the .MOV files into .CR2 RAW images. The files on the card are much to large to be RAW images (240+ Megs) so I think somehow the files got changed.

Sorry, but this is hard to believe. Did you try to change the extension back to mov on the 240MB file - which sounds pretty small for a movie.

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Steve_S,

Thanks for posting.

If your friend is still encountering this issue, please ask them to contact our Technical Support Department. For contact options, please use this link: http://Canon.us/ContactCF

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements