cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wishlist for R5 firmware update

paulamsterdam
Contributor

-Direct acces to minimum shutter speed with AutoISO ( or a Safety Shift in M and AutoISO, basically the same).There are four ( !) dials….

-To speed up manual, when using *h ( exposure lock hold) in M, and changing aperture , shutterspeed should change to obtain exposure.

-Tracking should be possible in ALL AF modes.

-Direct switching to full electronic shutter, don't want to switch off anti-flicker first, I know anti-flicker doesn't work in electronic.

-Switch off sensor and close shutter when detaching a lens, instead of turning camera off, change lens, turn camera on again....

-Electronic shutter sound optional.

-Electronic shutter in 10fps optional

-Spotmetering linked to focus point.

-Flash-photography: possibility to influence brightness/exposure of EVF in Exposure Simulation Off Mode( you might be looking at a silhouette when photographing a person in front of a window, and exposing for light outside)

-Customizable Quick Menu.

-Function for the Rate Button

-Possibility to move focus point when shutter is half-pressed

-When using *h, AE lock hold, you can't at the same time lock exposure with the shutterbutton.

Just to add : I have been working with Canon professionally for 25 years, and switched to Sony 4 years ago ( A9 and A9II) , moved back to Canon with the R5, and would have been totally happy if I came straight from EOS 5 IV. But Sony had a few good things that I miss now, like working with Auto ISO, which is, when you really think about it, the first and only variable you want to have in an automatic mode.And yes, I work in full manual most of the time, but sometimes you just need the speed of A, or you want to concentrate more on the people or the surroundings then your camera.

13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Use the +Feedback at the bottom of th support portal to submit feature requests.  This ensures they get to the developers for consideration.  I don't personally remove  lenses from my cameras when they are on, but I suppose something like turning the camera off when the lens release button is depressed might also work.  I've used low or max iso in manual modes Av, Tv, never tried in full auto.  Many of your other request are certainly reasonable.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick, I 've tried the +Feedback button several times but never got more then an automatically generated polite ' thank you for your feedback" answer...so that's why I keep on trying here and there..

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Most of your ideas are illogical, to me.  Half of them are already implemented.  The other half do not make sense.

For example, if you want metering linked to the AF point, then use Evaluative Metering.  One-Shot AF locks metering with the Shutter Button.  How is AF tracking supposed to work when you are only using Spot AF or 1-Point AF?

For example, how is the camera supposed to simulate exposure with a flash, anyway?  Doesn’t the flash need to fire in order for you see what the exposure will look like?  This is why people use light meters.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

paulamsterdam
Contributor

Hi Waddizzle, let me clarify a bit then :

-I want SPOT(!)metering linked to the AF point. Not Evaluative( which indeed does take into account which AF point you are using)

-When you set "Shutter button half press to AE lock" ( customize button menu) you won't be able to use/set  "*h button" ( lock hold, holds AE, just press, and press again to release), which I love. Try it. Like working in M, but much faster.

-Flash photography : try to make a portrait inside in front of a window, looking out , and you want to expose for the sunlit skyline outside, let's say 125/f8/ 100ISO. You will be looking at a silhouet, with or without Exposure Simulation enabled. That's when I want to be able to adjust the exposure in the EVF( or use SPOT metering linked to AF point) . Brightness EVF just won't cut it.

“-I want SPOT(!)metering linked to the AF point. Not Evaluative( which indeed does take into account which AF point you are using)”

Spot Metering is linked to the Spot AF point.  If you wish to have metering linked to any AF point, then use Evaluative Metering.  It is crucial that the AF point be active when the metering is locked [when the shutter fired] for metering to be evaluative at the locked AF point.

“-When you set "Shutter button half press to AE lock" ( customize button menu) you won't be able to use/set  "*h button" ( lock hold, holds AE, just press, and press again to release), which I love. Try it. Like working in M, but much faster.”

Exactly.  One-Shot AF behaves that way by default.  Exposure is locked when focus is locked just before the shutter is fired.  Servo AF behaves the same way.  It constantly refocuses, but it locks exposure when the shutter is fired.  You have overridden the button.  So, what is the problem?  I do not see what your complaint is all about.” 

“-Flash photography : try to make a portrait inside in front of a window, looking out , and you want to expose for the sunlit skyline outside, let's say 125/f8/ 100ISO. You will be looking at a silhouette, with or without Exposure Simulation enabled. That's when I want to be able to adjust the exposure in the EVF( or use SPOT metering linked to AF point) . Brightness EVF just won't cut it.?”

This scenario is best handled with off camera strobes and a light meter.  You cannot visually simulate the exposure without firing the strobes.  You can only measure it.  If you wish to actually see it, then use off camera lighting.

@Waddizzle wrote:

“-I want SPOT(!)metering linked to the AF point. Not Evaluative( which indeed does take into account which AF point you are using)”

Spot Metering is linked to the Spot AF point.  If you wish to have metering linked to any AF point, then use Evaluative Metering.  It is crucial that the AF point be active when the metering is locked [when the shutter fired] for metering to be evaluative at the locked AF point.

But I WANT spot metering all over the sensor, not just in the middle.Movable. Evaluative metering is something completely different

“-When you set "Shutter button half press to AE lock" ( customize button menu) you won't be able to use/set  "*h button" ( lock hold, holds AE, just press, and press again to release), which I love. Try it. Like working in M, but much faster.”

Exactly.  One-Shot AF behaves that way by default.  Exposure is locked when focus is locked just before the shutter is fired.  Servo AF behaves the same way.  It constantly refocuses, but it locks exposure when the shutter is fired.  You have overridden the button.  So, what is the problem?  I do not see what your complaint is all about.” 

My complaint is that *h ( AE lock hold) doesn't work in conjunction with AE lock shutter button. I use BBF by the way, Servo or One Shot ( who still uses that?) has nothing to do with it

“-Flash photography : try to make a portrait inside in front of a window, looking out , and you want to expose for the sunlit skyline outside, let's say 125/f8/ 100ISO. You will be looking at a silhouette, with or without Exposure Simulation enabled. That's when I want to be able to adjust the exposure in the EVF( or use SPOT metering linked to AF point) . Brightness EVF just won't cut it.?”

This scenario is best handled with off camera strobes and a light meter.  You cannot visually simulate the exposure without firing the strobes.  You can only measure it.  If you wish to actually see it, then use off camera lighting.

Of course I'm talking about off camera flash, and ambient and flash are all set manually. My problem is not getting the right exposure, my problem is I can't see the expression in the face during the shoot. And that is what portraiture is all about. Yeah, I can take a picture, review etc, that's not really a nice way of working. That's where I miss a DSLR , because you're eyes easily overcome that contrast. But even the Optical Viewfinder Simulation in the R3 can't.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Also, I forgot about Fv mode.  Can you use it to specify a fixed iso with all others parameters being dynamic?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes, you can, that's called P( in Fv ), and that's the opposite of what I want. I want ONLY  ISO to be the variable, because I know for every lens and every situation what aperture and shutterspeed I want. Just don't know the exact exposure, so that's why I like AutoISO sometimes, for speed and convenience. But in M and AutoISO you can't really work near 100 ISO, you'll risk overexposure. That's why I would like a Safety Shift there

@paulamsterdam wrote:

Yes, you can, that's called P( in Fv ), and that's the opposite of what I want. I want ONLY  ISO to be the variable, because I know for every lens and every situation what aperture and shutterspeed I want. Just don't know the exact exposure, so that's why I like AutoISO sometimes, for speed and convenience. But in M and AutoISO you can't really work near 100 ISO, you'll risk overexposure. That's why I would like a Safety Shift there

This does not make any sense, to me.  If you set ISO to a higher value, then your shot will almost certainly be more likely to be overexposed.  Use a faster shutter?

Announcements