cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new camera vs my samsung s8

jmark
Contributor

Hi, I'm relatavily new to the photography world and yesterday I bought my first real camera. I bought a Canon 200D with the 18-55mm DCIII lense.

I thought that there is no way my phone would be able to match up to a dedicated camera, but this doesn't seem to be the case and I'm quite dissapointed to be honest.

The pictures from my S8 seem to be far superior, it captures far more colour, is more dynamic, is sharper and just makes all around better pictures.

Is this normal or is it just my amateur photography skills?

The Samsung has is 12Mp and f1.7, whereas the Canon lense is 24Mp and f3.5.

I don't understand how my phone can seeminly take far superior pictures than a dedicated camera.

Can someone please explain this to me and tell me what I'm possibe doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cicopo
Elite

Your phone is probably a very good camera but with very limited capabilities compared to a real camera. Work your way through this easy to understand & brief guide to what the controls on a real camera (of any brand) do & then compare capabilities between a phone & camera. After that consider how well your camera does at photographing things farther away than the width of a football field.

http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

Your phone is probably a very good camera but with very limited capabilities compared to a real camera. Work your way through this easy to understand & brief guide to what the controls on a real camera (of any brand) do & then compare capabilities between a phone & camera. After that consider how well your camera does at photographing things farther away than the width of a football field.

http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you for the link. I'll check that out 🙂

Thank you. I'm a newby and that is something I was looking for a entry level tutorial.

Top one was with a iphone, BTW.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Someone has said that *any* camera tooks a good picture under good conditions. Where the new camera will shine is in poor lighting, Macro (with a macro lens) and telephoto.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Your phone is probably a very good camera ..."  

Most importantly is how you use your photos and how you take your photos.  There is no doubt that the new phones are good.

Not all the great photographs were taken with the top of the line gear.

Phone or DSLR ?

daughter nad wolf.jpg

_OS14628.jpg

_OS15203.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements