cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer using Windows 8 doesn't recognize my Canon Rebel. How do I fix this?

MWCRILLY
Apprentice

My computer using Windows 8 doesn't recognize my Canon Rebel. How do I fix this?

14 REPLIES 14

hsbn
Whiz

What model are you using? Anway, newer OS doesn't recognize older hardware is pretty common. It's best to use card reader to transfer your photos. There is some work around for older Rebel in which you can change your communication setting to PTP. However, you cannot get the EOS Utility software to recognize your camera. Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

It's the xt Rebel. What is card reader??--sorry. It seems like everyone knows what that is but me.

Your computer may already have a card reader in it. If it is a Win 8 machine, it most certainly does,

It is the little slots, usually horizontal on the front of the machine. Should be a couple of them. Not the USB slots!  Otherwise, you can get inexpensive add-on readers at Best Buy or WalMart or Target, etc.

I still have my XT but I have not tried it on my Win 8 box to see if it works. I am guessing you have done all the usual stuff, latest upgrades (Win 8 and Canon?), un-install and re-install. Good cables? Remember if Win 8 sees the XT you don't need the EOS Utility to download the photos. Just use Explorer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi MWCRILLY,

To connect your camera to a Windows Vista or Windows 7 computer or Windows 8 computer, you'll need to change your camera's "Communication" mode.

To set your camera up for this, please do the following:

With the camera disconnected from the computer, turn the camera on.  Press the "Menu" button.  Now select the [Wrench, Hammer, 2] tab.  Scroll down to "Communication" and press the "Set" button.

Select the [Print/PTP] and press "Set".  This process is more completely described (and illustrated too!) on page 121 of your Digital Rebel XT instruction manual.

Now connect your camera to your computer and turn the camera on.  Your computer should now recognize and have access to your Digital Rebel XT.

Unfortunately, Canon software cannot communicate with the Rebel XT when operating in this mode.

You may download your pictures using Windows Photo Gallery.  If you haven't already done so, you may retrieve and install this program from Microsoft's download.live.com.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Follow the instructions given by Richard to change your camera's communication mode. Contrary to what Richard says about Canon software not communicating with an XT (350D), Your PC running win 7 will communicate using EOS utility. Mine does.

Richard,

I have Canon 30D.  It worked ok with windows 7 but now with windows 8.1 the camera is not recognized.  The "communication" option has always been set to "Print/PC".  I tried setting different compatibility modes but so far I could not get the EOS Utility to recognize the camera.  I loaded the latest version from Canon's side.  It is frastrating.  Please help.  Is it or is it not supposed to work?

Thank you.

"Is it or is it not supposed to work?"  No. Smiley Sad  Get a card reader!

EB

Any idea why?  Is 30D simply not supported any more?  

I personally have no idea and possibly there is some work around that will make Win 8.1 see it.

A card reader is so very simple, is the frustration worth it, or do you want to move on and shoot some photos?

EB
Announcements