cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My canon EOS R5 is taking slightly blurry photos

Shaneradin
Contributor

hey all, I’m very lost and I really need help. I have a canon r5 with a 15-35 24-70 70-200 all lens are 2.8 rf. Whenever I shoot with the 70-200 or the 24-70 zoomed in my pictures are slightly blurry. Just to give context I sent canon my camera 5 times and they said nothing was wrong with it each time. The pictures are never under exposed and they are all shot at 2000 shutter speed. I really hope someone can help me.

26 REPLIES 26

Danfaz
Enthusiast

Hi, you'll be asked to upload some examples and what all your settings were so folks can try and diagnose. 

Ahh yes sorry here are a few in a good drive.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10s0EAaRY2bTDOc6NmcARQM1a7OKk_XYx

Shaneradin
Contributor

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10s0EAaRY2bTDOc6NmcARQM1a7OKk_XYx

link to 3 examples of blurry photos from 3 different shoots.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi.
I have downloaded your photos and my first question is why are you shooting at f/2.8 on a bright day?   It appears to me that your photos actually do have a point of sharp focus, but your depth of field is very shallow, so a lot of the image you would likely want to be in focus is not within that DoF.
Given have moving subjects and in some cases (e.g. the two players) , I would have gone with something like f/8 - you will still get a decent background blur but you will get more of the subjects in focus.
For example, in the following image, taken with a Sony RX-10IV, which is has a 1" sensor and thus an equivalent f/stop is f/10:  There is still good separate from the players and the grass behind, but the critical elements: both players and the goal posts, are within the DoF.
R1006717 copy.jpg
What kind of focus tracking, if any were you using please?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi, yes sometimes I bump it to f/4 but I like to stay at 2.8 to keep that really shallow depth of field. I’ve never had an issue with it before though. It was like all of the sudden my photos are blurry. My focus settings are set to track the eye of humans.

Well, looking at the images, the eyes are in focus for both individuals and for the chap in the black shirt but your other characters are not.  So, to me your camera is selecting focus correctly for one person, but with more than one, and such a shallow DoF, you are likely to get other people out of focus.
Do you shoot in RAW as well as JPG?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I shoot raw. On pictures with only one person in them, if you zoom in there is a slight blur to the pictures. That’s where I’m confused about.

Could you please share the RAW images then.

cheers, TREVOR

Unfortunately I do not have the raw images. Is there anything else I can do to help u help me?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements