cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Flash doesn't pop up? It clicks 3 times and shows error 05 on the screen?

hangymt
Contributor

My Flash doesn't pop up? It clicks 3 times and shows error 05 on the screen and asks me to turn the camera off and on again. If I use my hand to try to pull the flash up, it will pop up but it cannot do it by itself.

5 REPLIES 5

Naomi
Enthusiast

Hi hangymt!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know which camera you own. That way, our Canon Forum members and our Subject Matter Experts will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your camera.

Thanks!

I have a T2i (550D) with a 18-135mm stm lens.

Hi Hangymt,

Based on your description, we recommend sending your camera in for service.  You may set up your camera repair here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Leighbird
Apprentice

After reviewing a number of forums with no good suggestions, I decided to do what I thought about doing when this first happened but did not have the nerve.  I got the flash up by prying on it when I pushed on the shutter button.  Then I sprayed the hinge areas lightly with my teflon fortified bicycle lubricant - hi-tech dry formula.  It sets up dry.  Anyway, the flash is working for now.  I cleaned up the slight amount of overspray with a paper towel.  Hopefully, it just stays on the hinges.  I'm keeping the camera upside down for now to help prevent gravity from carrying any liquid into the camera body.  I'll check it tomorrow. 

The mechanism is dirty and it is a common problem. You can use some denatured alcohol on an old toothbrush and gently clean the slots where the levers are.

If this is a camera that is still under warranty DO NOT do this. Also I would avoid spraying anything into the slots. Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements