cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Movie Mode and Touch Autofocus

probertson
Contributor

I'm using a 6dii. When I shoot in movie mode and smooth with AI disabled shouldn't I able to use the touch autofocus on the LCD screen? Is there another setting to enable this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

What did I expect to happen? What I expected to happen is to disable the servo but still be able to use touch auto focus. The servo can be disabled by touching the icon in the lower left part of the screen.  You wouldn't turn off AF on the lens.  I think we're talking about two different things.  Thanks for trying to help but I think I've got it figured out.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Untitled.jpg

Yes, this is how I've been doing it but I thought there was a way to do touch focus also?  What I mean by that is when you touch the back of the LCD screen it automatically focuses with the touch of your finger.  Is that not available in movie mode?

Thanks

It isn't available in the mode I quoted above, either, you have to touch the shutter.I suspect it is because of the dual-pixel auto focus. On my T6S I touch the LCD to focus via contrast detection and hit the shutter to focus with the normal AF.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@probertson wrote:

I'm using a 6dii. When I shoot in movie mode and smooth with AI disabled shouldn't I able to use the touch autofocus on the LCD screen? Is there another setting to enable this?

I have been trying to figure out what that means.  I have no idea what settings you are using, or what you actually looking for.

In Movie mode, the camera can focus on a subject either with or without tracking.  Just as when you are shooting still photographs, each AF mode is different setting, and the camera cannot automatically switch back and forth between AF modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

When you shoot in movie, you can disable movie servo AF and shoot in 3 different AF methods, one of which is Smooth zone. I hope that clarifies what settings I'm talking about.  My question is this:  with movie servo AF disabled, shouldn't I still be able to focusing using touchscreen, rather than the AF button or the shutter release?  Or is touchscreen AF only available with Movie Servo AF?

Notice the paragraph below the one I highlighted, not mention of the touch screen, only the shutter button. You can get a wired remote to make it easier to activate focus.

@probertson wrote:

When you shoot in movie, you can disable movie servo AF and shoot in 3 different AF methods, one of which is Smooth zone. I hope that clarifies what settings I'm talking about.  My question is this:  with movie servo AF disabled, shouldn't I still be able to focusing using touchscreen, rather than the AF button or the shutter release?  Or is touchscreen AF only available with Movie Servo AF?

My question is this: What did you expect to happen?  You have disabled automatic auto focusing.  Enable Movie Servo AF, and the camera should do what you want.  If you do not want it to refocus, turn off the AF/MF switch on the lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What did I expect to happen? What I expected to happen is to disable the servo but still be able to use touch auto focus. The servo can be disabled by touching the icon in the lower left part of the screen.  You wouldn't turn off AF on the lens.  I think we're talking about two different things.  Thanks for trying to help but I think I've got it figured out.

Announcements