cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing factory protective peel off strip/covering

Sadie1
Enthusiast
Canon 5D Mark IV. When I opened new camera box - the lcd glass was bare - it did not have the factory peel off strip that is there for shipping.
When I bought my 5D Mark III, it was there.
Not seeing it on the IV, leads me to believe it was returned or a demo.
When you received your new camera did you have the peel off?
10 REPLIES 10

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I don't recall my new sealed 1DX Mark II having this protective strip when I bought it from B&H in February but it is possible that I forgot about it in my haste to test the new body.  Depending upon what type of test protocol is run during final inspection of these higher end cameras it is possible that it is removed during the final quality check.

Doesn't the Mark IV provide a readout of shutter activations?  If so, shutter count would be a better indicant as to whether somebody used and returned it.  I didn't check my 1DX 2 when I got it and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few shutter activations from testing unless the counter is factory reset at the end of final testing.  Even my new Corvette had just over a mile on it when I took delivery and the delivery point was at the Corvette museum just across the street from Bowling Green assembly plant but like everything else there is post-production testing.  If your new camera body had a few shutter activations before you got it I wouldn't worry but if it has a few hundred then I would question its history.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"When you received your new camera did you have the peel off?"

No.

Where did you buy it?  If it was a reputable store I doubt it is is demo or used.  If it was a grey market place, who knows.

"When I bought my 5D Mark III, it was there."

I don't remember my Mk III having one either but that was a long time ago so it might have. I know this is off track a bit but my Nikon D3 did not come with a removable plastic cover for the LCD screen.  Although the D3 has the holes for one to be used. All the other new brand N camera models I bought, did come with one.  Go figure!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sadie1
Enthusiast
I bought it from a reputable retailer. I spoke to Canon and a person there who bought one when it first came out had the peel off.

If it was a top retailer I wouldn't worry.  Forget it and enjoy your new camera. All the best and Merry Christmas to you.

EB

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The first time a new Canon is powered up out of the box (factory new) it should prompt you to set the date/time & timezone.  Did it do that?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Sadie1
Enthusiast
Hi. When I first turned it on, I hit Menu and took me to menu. I put in manual mode and it took me to date and time.

Sadie1,

Forget it and enjoy your new camera.  Smiley Happy

EB

Sadie1
Enthusiast
Hi - yes that is what I’m doing. I’m enjoying it. Thank You

That was great advice from Ernie and I am glad you are enjoying your new camera.

Even if it had a few exposures for some reason before you bought it, it has a shutter mechanism designed for a tremendous number of exposures so no harm was done.

Several years ago one of my friends ordered a new $50,000+ pickup from GMC and when it arrived at the dealer it had something over 20 miles on it and he was furious.  His pickup was one randomly selected by the factory for an extensive quality audit and every little fit and finish issue was caught and corrected as part of this audit and it was the best vehicle he has ever owned. He is no longer furious 🙂

I picked up my 2016 Corvette at the museum across the street from Bowling Green assembly plant where it was built and it had 2 miles on it from inspection even though it was loaded on a transport rather than being driven across the street from the plant to the museum.  

Hope you capture some great holiday images with your NEW camera!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements